How Much Do You Guys Spend On A Raw Grinded Diet For Cats In A Month?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Really trying to cut down, cause it's soooo expensive to feed two kittens currently.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I did the math at one point and figured I spend about $2.25 a day for three cats. That’s using chicken thighs plus supplements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did the math at one point and figured I spend about $2.25 a day for three cats. That’s using chicken thighs plus supplements.
Oh wow, currently changing my recipe now and hoping to make it a bit more affordable.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh wow, currently changing my recipe now and hoping to make it a bit more affordable.
Is that “wow” like “that’s a lot” or “wow” like “I see I can do it cheaper”? Are you using your own supplements or buying one of the pre-made supplements like Alnutrin? I use Dr. Pierson’s recipe at catinfo.org.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is that “wow” like “that’s a lot” or “wow” like “I see I can do it cheaper”? Are you using your own supplements or buying one of the pre-made supplements like Alnutrin? I use Dr. Pierson’s recipe at catinfo.org.
Later, I use Dr. Pierson's recipe as well. What do you mean pre-made? I thought all supplements were pre-made?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I apologize for not being clearer! Pre-mix supplement would be a more accurate description. Rather than buying each supplement individually—taurine, Vitamin E, Vitamin B, fish oil, etc.—you can buy a pre-mix that contains everything you need in one product. There are several companies that make pre-mixes for raw feeding. I’m most familiar with Alnutrin (knowwhatyoufeed.com) and EZ Complete (foodfurlife.com).

Alnutrin is less expensive than EZ Complete, but using a pre-mix is going to cost more than buying individual supplements like Dr. Pierson’s recipe calls for.

My cost of $2.25 a day for three cats (or 75 cents a day per cat) is estimated using chicken thighs and the individual supplements not a pre-mix like Alnutrin or EZ Complete. I feed each cat about four ounces a day. That cost goes up quite a bit when I feed rabbit and down a little when I feed pork.

I hope that helps!

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure there's a simple answer to your question.

Feeding raw food will cost more than kibble. Any homemade raw will be much cheaper than feeding canned food, especially high end grain free varieties, or commercial raw. DIY will always be cheaper than pre-prepared, whether it's food or supplements. And, prices of meats bought at groceries will depend on where you live & shop, and what you buy - obviously chicken is cheapest, but you don't want to feed your cat only chicken.

It might help to remember that your kittens won't be kittens forever. My two Siberians ate a pound a day at their peak of kitten consumption, plus a small amount of kibble in a puzzle toy. The kibble did double duty for taking the edge off costs and entertaining an energetic cat while I was at work all day. That's now reduced to about 8-9 oz/day depending on the meat used. It may also help to make sure your cats' food has plenty of fat, as that will increase calorie density, and reduce the total amount fed and hence costs.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really trying to cut down, cause it's soooo expensive to feed two kittens currently.
As sophie1 sophie1 said, remember that kittens eat a lot. During part of their development they will eat at least double what they will eat as adults.

You should really do your cost comparison on a per ounce basis rather than on a cost per cat basis. Some cats, even if they aren't kittens, will eat more than others.

The chicken thigh recipe I make costs about $0.14 an ounce to make not including supplements. My adult cats each eat about 6 oz a day for $0.84 per day.

Supplements, if I buy the individual supplements myself and don't use a pre-mix, only add a penny or two per ounce at most.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boys are 12.25 lbs and 12.75 lbs with different needs, but eating the same formula of rabbit and turkey for about $85 a month. The price of the rabbit just increased so it's likely going to be $90 a month for the two guys, but it's way cheaper than the cans I were buying them which were $1.89-2.29 a piece.
Some month I have to buy more fish oil or taurine or something, but I don't add that to the overall cost. That's like guilting a kid you owe me $3 for the new bottle of ketchup for your french fries.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you buy your chicken thighs for Dr. Pierson's recipe? Are you grinding them or serving it in whole chunks?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Where do you buy your chicken thighs for Dr. Pierson's recipe? Are you grinding them or serving it in whole chunks?
I know you weren’t asking me, but I’ll chime in. :) I buy boneless chicken thighs at Costco. The sodium is under 100 mg. and the price is good. I grind about 3/4 and cut the rest into chunks. They really like the chunks, but two of the three are 14 and unused to chewing so the chunks aren’t very big.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you weren’t asking me, but I’ll chime in. :) I buy boneless chicken thighs at Costco. The sodium is under 100 mg. and the price is good. I grind about 3/4 and cut the rest into chunks. They really like the chunks, but two of the three are 14 and unused to chewing so the chunks aren’t very big.
No worries! It wasn't directed at any one person :)
I wish we had a Costco! We have a Sam's Club so I will check there on our next run (it's a good drive up the interstate). Thanks!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you buying, and do you have access to a grinder or a butcher with a grinder?
Raw is CHEAP compared to premium kibble IMO, if you have the right resources.
ETA: One of those "resources" if tons of freezer space as you can usually order stuff from butchers for dirt cheap if you order in huge bulk.
We can get quality beef heart for less than $.25 a pound.