How Much Do Kitten Personalities Change From 4-5 Months To Adulthood?

MyThreeKittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Long time lurker first time poster.

I have 3 kitties, 3 kittens. 1 is a 5.5 months old male kitty named George, and the other 2 are brother and sister who are 4 months old named Thomas and Annie.

I love their personalities. George acts like an older brother for the younger 2. He and I really bonded in the month before I brought home the other 2. Still, George sleeps with me every night and is attached to my side. Thomas started as a complete nutty kitty who attacks any toy that moves. He's matured into a chill kitty. Annie started as shy and timid. She's matured into a bold kitty who has more energy than George and Thomas combined, always wanting to play.

I give them so much love and attention.

All 3 are going to be fixed in the next month.

I've had older cats before but I've never had kittens before. So I am not sure how much I can expect their personalities to change. What are the chances that one of them turns into a total demon cat?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
About 5-6 months is teenager for most cats. The older Peaches got, the more territorial and acts like the ruler, the dominant cat. Maggie is more territorial but still has the kid inside her. They used to sleep on the same bed but not anymore.They are 5 and 6 yrs. Its possible your cats wont change. It is interesting having cats with different personalities

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats that are all fixed. 3 of mine came to me fixed before I adopted them. My oldest cat Starbuck was fixed as a kitten. She was too young to be fixed right away when I adopted her at 6 weeks old. I had two adult male cats at that time that were also fixed as kittens while living with me. None of my cats turned into demons when they were fixed. The loving personalities they had did not change.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides being crazy cathedrals at 3-4 months and a tad more aloof at 5-8 months old, I would say all my cats stayed the same personality wise. I would add all my female cats were spayed by 5 months and male cats by or at 6 months. Lately it seems my 13 year old cat had turned into a cranky old man. He does a lot of complaint moses or growling at his brother.... That is not a change in personality, more of a learning what gets my attention. Since I have been encouraging them to meow I can't complain ;)

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most likely what you'll see with your trio is that they calm down a little bit after they get their teenage crazies. Annie might become a little more dominant over the boys, but if you have three cats who get along well now, they should stay that way and stay just as affectionate to you too.

Coming from experience with 2 cats:
Duncan was always outgoing from the day we first met him at 10 weeks old, adopted him 2 weeks later and let him loose in the house (mostly) after 2 days. He was and is always with us, always very vocal and very affectionate with EVERYONE.

Barry was withdrawn in the shelter and took some time to warm up to us - he was 8 months old when we got him and was feral or abandoned very young. He was never mean, but often would just prefer to be left alone or have limited affection. This has slowly changed over the past ~18 months. He still doesn't like strangers and will hide from them, but he follows us around the house, lets my wife pet and play with him a little, and actively will seek pets and affection from me. He still has his aloofness though - a loud noise or sudden movement and he will run away, even from me.

So, I don't think their personalities really changed. I might be singing a different tune as they age - they are both around 2 right now.

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen one cat change after his neuter, and everyone else was about the same. We've got one semi-feral guy that didn't start settling down until around age 3, I think. His neuter was late; around 10 months old.
My 9 year old Tommy and his sissy Yue are the same weird kittens I met when they were 3 months old.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've seen the relationship between cats change as they age. But it is the same type of relationship changes you will see anywhere. Nothing is really a huge shift, my girls in particular has gotten more aggressive with the boys in our house. Part of that though is her getting more confident as she gets older and becoming set in her ways. She has less tolerance for the boys when they do something that isn't normal and is slightly more assertive in her territory.

But nothing really drastic in any one indvidual.