How much did you pay to adopt your cat?

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopt kittens out with the rescue I work with for $100 which includes 3 deworming, flea tx, 3 distemper vaccines, rabies, spay/neuter, FIV/FeLV combo test, exam and then extra stuff like supplies, food, blanket, info sheets.
I try not to think about it but if a kitten is perfectly healthy, with the cost of milk replacement and high quality food ( since I only do orphans) and routine vetcare like shots and fixing, I spend almost double the fee. That being said most of the kittens DO need special vetting.
All of the people I've adopted to are wonderful but there's always some people who think its a rip off to pay a fee despite all the included vetting. I've always said that those are the people who don't intend to get any vetting done on a cat anyways, because if they were going to take proper care if the cat they would have looked into costs and would see what a deal a rehoming fee is for a fully vetted cat. Oh Well : /

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my first two kittens blake and blare (bought a week apart) were $5 each but when my dog died a few months later i wanted another kitten to fill that void, so i got another he was $50 i almost said no to that. im thinking because blake and blare were both the last of there litter when we got them they were cheaper the cages were full when i picked my new kitten artimis.

littlejaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To just adopt them nothing I rescued them. With baby shots and then spaying and rabie shots in that first 6 months was $370. Then last month she was given this years rabie shots and a complete well being check and that was $115..That's  all pretty cheap if I think about the two wonderful very awesome years Tinkerbell has given me. Now with Sparta  she's only 15 weeks old so far its just been the baby shots and well being checks. She will be spayed in about 3 weeks and then she will be given her year rabie shots for the year.  

Last edited:

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my2wins: Those look like Lynx Point Siamese, aren't they? Are you sure they were feral and not stray? Either way they're lovely cats.

I adopted both of my cats but Atari was from another family who was about to surrender her to the SPCA. She was free but I had to do all the vet stuff on my own. Fawkes was stray and I turned her in to the SPCA and they vaccinated, microchipped, and spayed her as well as gave her medical attention she needed immediately, all for the adoption fee of $170. Normally for all of that here in Ottawa it would range over $400 at the vets.

The SPCA charges $220 for kittens and $170 for adult cats with shots, microchip, and spay all included.

Last edited:

annabell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Smokie, the love of our life, adopted us!  She appeared under our porch and was about 5 weeks old - our vet neighbor thought]  She didn't cost us anything for shots and spaying but we did give him $100 which he didn't want to accept, but it was in a thank you card from Smokie so I told him he would have to take it up with her.  That pretty much settled that!   Our outside cat, a feral, adopted our porch.  She was pregnant, and appeared to be starving - you could count her ribs - so we started feeding her.  She stuck around and after the kittens were born and weaned we kept feeding her until the kittens came out from where she was hiding them and were eating good we took four to the shelter and a granddaughter keep one.  We took P C [for Porch Cat] and had her spayed, chipped, and her shots and she is still sticking to the porch.  She's getting tamer every day and has gained weight, and has become a really beautiful cat.  I don't dare go by any place that has puppies or kitties for adoption - I'd like to take them all home, but we are support grand-parents to two others besides our own.

colts2broncos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mercury and Bo were $150 each from the Detroit Rescue (Purrs Abound) that included shots, dental, neutering, etc... Shelby was from an Indy Rescue, $125 same health needs met.  The Shelter near us charges $60.00 but we've never adopted from them.  Our other cats are all taken in strays.

tortiseshell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my twins from a rescue center for 50$. Both of them together. 

cheeto-moe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moses is a small town kitten I got for Free
Cheeto was a farm/ feral baby kitten I got for Free
Marley is what we call a Hood cat she comes from Canada's worst neighbour hood, and
She was Free too.

Now Mr. Bugs I got from Petcetera, humane society 18 month old ginger kitten ( I love gingers cats)paid a 100 dollars for him. He died of an illness six weeks later.
All my best cats have come straight from their Mommas to me. I've never had luck with a shelter cat they go missing or die. I guess I have been maimed by the shelter once too often to risk it.

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I paid nothing for my two older male brothers they were about 2 when they joined us they came fixed to the lady wanted them out. Then I bought my SO's kitten for $20 and the newest and last member of our family was free she was born wild, raised wiled for 12wks other then food and flea treatment. In the end we have spent $1200 roughly on one of the adopted brothers as he is ill... So shelters are cheaper as you know your getting a healthy cat. I wouldn't change my mind though.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our newest baby is named Samwise Gamgee.  AKA Sam.  14 or so weeks.  $35 to the city, $40 to the Humane society to get his "boy parts" removed

And then: $140 to the vet for shots (Rabies) stool sample (I need to know if he's got worms, he was in the pound for over a month with a bunch of other kittens) etc, etc, etc.

$5 for a bag of Kitten Chow.  $7 for a bag of Nutro Kitten.  Why?  Because the vet told me that Kitten Chow/ Cat Chow is bad for boy cats- they can get urinary problems.  And I think I've heard it before- I hope I didn't waste my money.  Well- ok it didn't get wasted- I took it over to the Humane Society. 

And if you really want to be picky- you can add in the cost for me doing a load of laundry for the humane society.  Their website said they needed people to wash towels for them.  Hey- I was there, this is the second cat they've taken care of, I can at least do a load or two of towels for them. 

When you put all that in- it's almost $200 to adopt the cat. 

Holly was "free"  Yeah right.  We still paid just as much for her b/c she had to do the vet visit thing, surgery etc, etc. 

Cheryl

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Holly was "free"  Yeah right.  We still paid just as much for her b/c she had to do the vet visit thing, surgery etc, etc. 
I hear you! Our last cat, Jamie, was "free" from a rescue I belong to and at 10 weeks had had no shots, was unneutered and had ear mites. He had been wormed, IIRC. All in all, he cost more than Mogli did. Shelter cats are actually a real bargain!

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I paid $75 for Lynk 2 weeks ago, I had to drive over an hour each way to get him.  Casually looking at getting him a playmate and saw a gorgeous girl from a shelter but they want an adoption fee of $225.  Pass!

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I paid nothing for Chowder since his adoption fee was waived due to his FIV making him hard to place. He was already neutered and had all his shots.

The rescue's normal fee is $150.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't pay for any of my three current kitties. The only one that was ever paid for was my first Kitty, Velvet when I was a small child. My mom gave her to me shortly after the Christmas when I turned 11. (I picked her at the Humane Society...so not sure all these years later what the fee was at the time.)

Isabella- was an abuse case kitten that I took in and fostered for the rescue I volunteered with at the time. So, when I decided to keep her, there was no charge.

Kojak and his littermates were found by my niece and her friends when they were newborn kittens, so I took them in as bottlebabies and raised them when I worked for animal control. The littermates found terrific homes, and I kept Kojak since he was special needs.

Lucky was my sister's family cat. When they moved they said they couldn't take him, so I took him in.

All three of my current kitties are seniors. :)

(All of the other cats I've had, I've taken in as rescues, special needs, or hospice kitties, so I never paid for them since I was their caregiver and usually working with shelters/rescues when I took them in.)

Last edited: