How Much Attention Does A Cat Need?

valeps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I figured since I got so many helpful replies last time I posted a question about my cat concerns it would be worth it to try again and see what you all have to say because I am currently feeling like a very bad cat mom to my precious Olive. For the last month-ish in particular, I have been extremely busy studying for my medical licensing exam in a couple of weeks (i am a med student). As you can probably tell, it's a super important + super information-filled assessment and I have felt absolutely TERRIBLE that I have not been able to give my cat as much attention as I wish I could. I do still play with her using her wand-toy-thing and I have been buying her a lot of new and different toys in hopes of keeping her busy while I study. I have even resorted to studying at home constantly so I am at least around her but I feel so bad when she comes over to me and meows and I can't play with her because I am in the middle of a practice exam or something like that. Lately I have also noticed she has been meowing much more frequently (I can't figure out if this is for my attention-since she does not always appear to be looking at me when she does it-or because she is busy being a cat and meowing at whatever little thing she sees). She hasn't been initiating as much snuggling with me as she usually does, although when I go over to her, she is still very friendly and loving-I am thinking this is the result of her putting two and two together from the countless amount of times I haven't been able to respond to her meows for attention while I'm studying.
My question is, and I know how silly this sounds, but can a cat be mad at you for ignoring them in this type of scenario? And is it possible for my cat to not feel bonded to me anymore after this exam is over with? As a former feral cat it took SO long to get her to trust me and love me that I am nervous she now feels like I'm not the same person she once bonded with. I hope she (maybe?) understands that I am doing my best to multitask and that this is only temporary.
Thank you in advance!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby sometimes gets extra clingy when I've been away for longer than usual. Also, sometimes when I'm spending too much time on the computer, she'll either come in and start walking all over the keyboard, or sometimes just fall asleep in the chair just over from me.

Sometimes all she wants is a little attention or playtime, then she'll have a nap.

If you can, maybe stop studying and play for 5 minutes or so, just to get her running around, and then she'll probably have a nap.

Good luck with your medical exam. Hope you'll be helping heal people soon.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with rubysmama that taking short breaks in your studies will be good for Olive. As a bonus, I have read that taking short breaks while studying can be beneficial and help "fix" the information in your mind.
Best of luck on your exams!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I get involved with something (the computer, work, a book, the TV), my cats tend to try to distract me, too. I think partially they're curious about why I'm so invested in something that they find really boring-- it's not catnip or a toy or a bird so why is it interesting? But I think they're also looking for reassurance, especially if they're used to us treating them like they're the most important thing at any given moment and dropping everything to play or pet them.

With Juniper, I've found that simply acknowledging her by talking to her for a second can help and then once she has that sense of being seen, she can find something to amuse herself with.

Maybe you could do some of your studying 'out loud' as a conversation with your kitty? I know that sounds crazy, but it could work for both of you...

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This probably won't go over well. And I realize all cats are different.
BUT....I've always found that the best cats, are the ones that you just pretty much ignore.
I've always been told that if you want a cat to like you, forgive you for something like stepping on it, or show you some affection? Leave it alone....it'll come around. And so far, that's turned out to be true.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say all of your attention :rolleyes:

I would give her spot to be right near or on my computer table. So she can be close but not on you while you are studying. You can even master the one handed pet and reading with the other hand. Here was my compromise and my punk in his brother's bed :catman:yes they got a third of my computer table.

IMG_6514.JPG

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as you pay attention when she calls for you, your usually good. My guys are pretty good about telling me when they want attention. Rocket the other day decided I was spending too much time on the computer and did this,

IMG_20180606_171956_908.jpg

And when she decided it was time for bed she nibbled on my fingers and stood up so I couldn't see the screen.

I've found that when I am legitimately busy the cats will give me some time and space before getting impatient. I did a three day novel contest the last two years which is 72 hours of writing with sleeping breaks. The cats would walk across the desk a few times, sleep next to me, and yell occasionally. But at the end of the weekend when things were back to normal they were fine. You probably need as much of a break as she needs some attention. I know how stressful it can be with studying and she may be picking up on that.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the amount of attention a cat needs varies based on several factors.

Some cats just need more attention than others.
Maybe it's the cat's personality. Maybe it's the way the cat was brought up.

It also depends on the cat's history.
If a cat was lost or abandoned, early in life, it might be more clingy than a cat that has had a stable home.

The way their humans interact with them also has a lot to do with how much attention a cat needs.

When Casper first moved in, he was very stand-off-ish. He spent most of his time alone. We expected that because he was abandoned. He needed time to get used to his new home and feel confident that he had a safe, stable place to live.

Casper's Girl-Human dotes on him quite a bit and, after two and a half years, he has become the stereotypical "Velcro Kitty." Wherever she goes, the cat goes. She often gets upset because Casper gets under foot.

With me, on the other hand, Casper will often come into the room where I am and get a pat on the head and maybe let me stroke his tail but, once he has had my acknowledgement, he'll go somewhere else for a while. Casper will come back to "check on me" every once in a while but, for the most part he's okay by himself.

Casper will lay beside his Girl-Human all night long while she watches TV and crochets but, in a similar setting with just me around, he'll lay beside me for fifteen minutes to a half hour then he'll get up, stretch and go somewhere else for a while.

All other things being equal, I'd say that the amount of attention a cat needs depends on how much attention it is used to getting from you.

If you dote on a cat all day long, it will become a Velcro Kitty.

If you leave a cat to its own devices, it will probably be satisfied with an occasional pat on the head.