How Many Of You Have Cats That Understand Words?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
The other half of this is of course do we speak cat? After a lifetime of owning them, you realize there are so many subtle -and not so subtle- ways they communicate, that doesn’t involve human language but some sort of…emanation. They’re like little tuning forks of energy, tapping us on the head to remind us to be aware of the moment. Quite often, out of a sound sleep, I’ll sense a need, snap on a light, and there is my cat, staring me in the face.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my girls understand a lot. I think cats understand a whole lot of what we say but choose to ignore most of it. Sophie definitely understands when I ask her what she's doing. She stops, looks at me over her shoulder and then, of course, continues with what she was doing. :lol:

They both know their names and generally come when called unless they have something better to do like relaxing.
If they didn’t understand what we say, how could they unfailingly do the exact opposite of what we ask? :winkcat:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Magnus's words are kind of amazing actually . The best is what he's associated from the words he does have. We do catnip bubbles and he has a button for bubbles. One day he started pressing bubbles outside. We thought maybe he meant birds....but actually he means snow or rain.

We put birdseed outside daily (a small amount, keeps the feeder cleaner). He began to press hungry outside when he wanted us to put some out.

It takes trial and error to figure out what he wants sometimes.

This morning after my wife left (we both WFH mostly so it's odd for us to leave in the AM), he kept saying Mom, Outside. So that kind of narration is really fascinating.
OMG, this is absolutely fascinating!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My boys know their names, and their nicknames, and when I ask "who's hungry?" Tinky pops his head up immediately and runs into the kitchen. It never fails that while preparing their meals I get interrupted (usually a bathroom break) and so I'll say "stay right there, I'll be right back" and sure enough, they stay put rather than their usual following me into the bathroom :lol:. If I say "treats?", again, they come running, but sometimes Darko is upstairs, so I have to repeat it, yelling "Darko, treats", and then I'll hear him clickity clacking down the stairs.OH, and when I take them to the groomers for a nail trimming and they get all upset I tell them it's ok, they're just going to get a mani-pedi. That really does seem to settle them down. If I tell them we're going to see Dr. Christina, not so much :lol:

One concept I'm sure they understand but chose to ignore is "NO!" Well, Darko is pretty good about being a good boy and stopping whatever mischief he's getting into. Tinky, on the other hand, just looks at me and continues with whatever he's doing. I continually tell him it's a good thing he's so cute, otherwise, he'd be living somewhere else. Of course he knows I'm kidding, thus his bad behavior.

And to Margot Lane Margot Lane and her point about do we speak cat, Darko is quite the talker. I really do think I can interpret most of his sounds. I know when he's upset, know when he is happy, know when he's just wanting to talk, etc.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton knows his name and the word, No. :nono: He's so smart that he has our routine down pat. Neely on the other hand who was without a doubt the smartest cat we have ever known would come when we called the dog and he would come when we called her name. :lol:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other day I was reading somewhere that cats don't understand words. But I have a cat now and I had a cat years ago that both understood - "Do you want to be brushed?" Both of them love(d) to be brushed. I would ask the question often without the brush in sight and they do (did) come running over to me. Even if I said a word that sounded like "Brushed" they do (did) look at me intently and would just perk up. I think cats must understand a lot more words than they let on. Just wondering on others experiences with cats and language.
Yes many of mine understand a lot. Quinn really understands a lot of english. It’s amazing. His favorite is Quinn, you wanna play? Lol and he answers meow/ yes. If he’s not in my bedroom and I want him there when I’m going to sleep often all I have to do is say Quinn Quinn and he comes to me from wherever.

He is super, super intelligent. I wish he could speak with English because I would be very curious to hear what he has to say.

He also knows the names, and remembers people who passed away Syb, my father etc. so did my other cats as well.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey understands a lot of words: Nummy, Num-Nums, Head Bop, nite-nite, cuddles, jump, brushed, Do you want to be brushed? Tent? Geoffrey want tent? Go get Pickle.
He does understand the word, NO, but prefers to ignore it. The same with, "Get Down".
I also say to him, when he tries to get into something bad for him: No, you will get boo-boo, while gently shoving him away.

Accidentally, I said the phrase: "Stop IT".. when he was trying to bite me. He immediately stopped. I think his former owner used that phrase to put the fear of God into him. He always stops when I use that phrase.

Geoffrey understands more than what he lets on to; Even body actions. If I gently pat the arm of the chair, or the mattress, when lying down; he will jump up for cuddles.

He also knows physical cues. At night, when dark, if I get off my recliner to use the bathroom, he immediately thinks I am going to bed. He goes into the bedroom, waiting for me. When I get out of the Bathroom, I tell him, "No, sweet thing, not yet". He follows me back into the living room to cuddle on my lap.

Geoffrey also tells me when his litter box needs to be scooped and a total clean out. While I am sitting on the pot, he comes over, rubs my legs, then goes over to the litter box, sniffs it, then looks at me and meows. Communication!!

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think my Juno understands many words at all. Her name(s), yes; some other words and phrases that are context-based, but her understanding seems likely to be based on that context or my tone of voice. I doubt she actually comprehends the words themselves; she's not too smart in that way, and actually I suspect she's quite below average.

And yet...I think she's quite good at reading my mind. Better than actually understanding what I say. For example, her ability to intuit when I (or someone else) is fixing to put her in the carrier is remarkable. Way better than if she heard the word carrier.

Theauctions1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other day I was reading somewhere that cats don't understand words. But I have a cat now and I had a cat years ago that both understood - "Do you want to be brushed?" Both of them love(d) to be brushed. I would ask the question often without the brush in sight and they do (did) come running over to me. Even if I said a word that sounded like "Brushed" they do (did) look at me intently and would just perk up. I think cats must understand a lot more words than they let on. Just wondering on others experiences with cats and language.
Definitely cats understand and can converse! The happy meows are something memorable to hear too!😻☺

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee is very quick at picking up words and he can definitely communicate with us - and learnt this even more so during lockdown, as he had the both of us all the time to communicate with. He understands our queues as well, and knows when we're about to go upstairs or into the kitchen. Words he definitely knows are:

- food
- dinner
- lunch
- toilet
- cat (still not sure if he knows he is a cat though!)
- bye (especially at the end of Zoom meetings)
- right (when saying "right then"- normally "right then, let's get your lunch")
- cuddle
- kiss
- inside