How Many Calories,CKD again

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet has said she prefers an overweight ckd cat to one that is underweight.
Mine has gained and is 10.5 lbs and climbing because of Mirataz and wet renal food.
Question for ckd cats parents: How many calories daily does your stage 2 ckd cat eat ?

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet has said she prefers an overweight ckd cat to one that is underweight.
Mine has gained and is 10.5 lbs and climbing because of Mirataz and wet renal food.
Question for ckd cats parents: How many calories daily does your stage 2 ckd cat eat ?
It depends on the weight of the cat as well as age and activity level. A loose guide is 20 to 30 calories per pound. For Twyla, who I try to keep around 11.5 pounds that’s about 230-250 calories a day. She also has hyperthyroidism and medication adjustment can impact her weight. We recently had to increase her thyroid medication, her thyroid level dropped and she is now pushing 12 pounds.

Regular weighing is really helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying, T'sMom.
My cat is a medium size and is not active as a senior. I took advantage of a price drop and purchased a wonderful digital scale and it is great for keeping track on how fast she is gaining. She seems a lot healthier in appearance since I have had her these past 8 months now. But I can see in the way she is jumping down that she is feeling the weight in her legs(like mom like daughter). That is the reason I am concerned about letting her gain up to 12 lbs.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat is almost 13 pounds, and can maintain that weight on about 250 calories per day. So, you can see there is no one right amount of calories for every cat. Weighing your cat weekly and see how the caloric intake affects it is the best way to determine what is appropriate for your cat, so glad you are doing that!

Re: the way she jumps may not just be due to her weight. Is she on any kind of arthritic supplement?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re: the way she jumps may not just be due to her weight. Is she on any kind of arthritic supplement?
Not on a supplement, but it just might be arthritis because the first time I noticed it reminded me of my own movements.
Are those prescribed or over the counter? She is not due back for her physical/bloods/weight assessment until August.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cosequin or Dasuquin - both over the counter - are ones that are used most commonly. They come in capsules that can be opened and sprinkled onto/mixed with food or treats - I think they might have chewable treats in both these products too. There are other OTC ones as well, such as Noden's or Liquid Health, both of which are in liquid form to be added to food/treats. I am sure you can find more OTC ones by searching the internet for 'cat joint support supplements'.

For over 3 years I gave Feeby Glyco Flex Plus, another OTC product, which are big chews that can be broken into smaller pieces. I think she got tired of the mussel taste, since there are green lipped mussels in them - but she sure loved them for a long time!

None of the above things are something Feeby will take any more, alas. So, she is on Solensia, a monthly injection given by the vet. There is also another injection called Adequan. Adequan also contains a joint supplement and has a longer 'history' than Solensia, which is reasonably new.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For over 3 years I gave Feeby Glyco Flex Plus, another OTC product, which are big chews that can be broken into smaller pieces. I think she got tired of the mussel taste, since there are green lipped mussels in them - but she sure loved them for a long time!
I see that the Phos reading is 32 milligrams per chew isn't that high for ckd,

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am hoping she likes them. I have also read a few customer reviews on the stores reviews that it causes projectile vomiting. It made me wonder if it they were a few people paid to say that. (there are a lot of paid reviewers) But it arrives today and I have Bounty and sawdust at the ready!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The instructions say to give two chews initially, but I never did that. I was concerned about possible loose stools if I did. Don't remember reading about the vomiting, wonder why.

Thankfully, Feeby never had an issue with them of any sort - until she decided she didn't like them anymore. If I could get her to eat them again, I would.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today we went to the vet and she has arthritis. She did blood work and depending on the ckd stage, she will ,hopefully, be on a long lasting injection for pain. The poor sweetie was hurting big time. Hopefully the chews will be good over the long run.
Today .not only did she yowl in the crate, but she pee'd in it too. Luckily I padded it well with a towel. Hey,going to the vet (she hates the word) is such serious business.