How many brands/flavours/type of protein do you give your cats?

Genevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

As a first time cat mom, I feared that my cats would be picky with food so I introduced them very early to different textures and flavours. My cats prefer paté, but I use shreds as toppers. I ended up having these main brands.

Faim Museau (Raw Premade Patties)
-Chicken & Salmon
-Duck & Beef

Nulo
-Turkey and Chicken Recipe Paté
-Duck and Tuna Recipe Paté
-Salmon and Mackerel Recipe Paté

Dr. Elsey
-Turkey Recipe Paté

Tiki Cat After Dark and Purebites are used as toppers.

However, with Petsmile no longer shipping to me, I have to consider alternatives for Nulo and Dr.Elsey. I am very fortunate that I have some Nulo and Dr Elsey cans left so that I can transition to a new brand.

I wanted something with no tapioca starch or guar gum and had lots of different types of protein, but no tuna. While I'm not a fan of tuna and guar gum being in every flavour of Nulo, I appreciate having a variety of proteins at a budget.

After looking through my neighborhood pet stores, I have decided to go with Nutrience SubZero, starting with the Frasier Valley Paté. CatFoodDB states that it has less protein than the average wet cat food, but I like the first 5 ingredients (Chicken, Chicken broth, Turkey, Salmon, Chicken liver) and there are no gums. It has a few vegetables though... I'm planning on introducing Prairie Red Paté (Beef, beef liver, beef broth, pork, lamb) and then eventually, Oven-Baked Tradition's Turkey Recipe Paté (Turkey, Turkey broth, Chicken, Porc liver, Pea protein) and Duck Recipe Paté (Duck, Duck broth, Herring, Ocean fish, Pork liver). I'm not a fan of giving porc and it's the one protein I haven't introduced yet but I will have to make do for now.

Tl;dr
I prefer having 3 brands to rely on, with different proteins and focus on paté. I used to not want to give porc but circumstances force me to add them to the roster. The brands I will be giving once the transitions are complet will be Faim Museau (Duck & Beef and Chicken & Salmon [Raw Patties]), Nutrience SubZero (Frasier Valley Paté and Prairie Red Paté) and Oven-Baked Tradition (Turkey Recipe and Duck Recipe). Tiki cat and PureBites are used as occasional toppers.

After writing this, I wonder if I'm overdoing it a bit...

How about you? What brand(s) are in your cat cupboard/shelf/cabinet? Any protein you do not give your cat? Any ingredient that you avoid?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am guessing you are not in the US because you mentioned brands I've never heard of. My cats also eat wet only and a variety of proteins and textures and feed very little fish. Mostly weruva,Dr Else,farmina,orijen,ff classics turkey&giblets,Daves,nutro perfect portions. All have gums but I don't worry about that any more since none of my cats are allergic to it

. All

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm like maggie101, I have a variety of brands in the house. Some members avoid carrageenan, and I really work to avoid synthetic vitamin K. I like brands that have a lower iodine content such as Weruva but at the moment am not actively pursuing purchasing it.

Last edited:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fancy is rabbit only. I used to use Instinct but as soon as it arrives we're going to try switching to Stella and Chewy's Frozen Rabbit. She's sensitive to poultry.

Delilah is primarily chicken or turkey, and once in a while I can slip in a beef (not too frequently). She's pretty stuck on Fancy Feast Medleys. I've tried changing to other foods but she won't eat it if it looks like real meat shreds. She's allergic to fish/fish oil. She will, however, try to muscle in on Fancy's rabbit. I haven't tried giving more than a spoonful to her.