How long will seizure meds work?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today my cat had about 4 cluster seizures 🙁 she got anti seizure meds but how long for the effect. Can a seizure kill my cat. When she had one she does this . Does a seizure cat head hurt? Her blood test is normal. I have no idea what else I can do.

This was the first time she had that many seizures a day. Use to to be once every 3-4 months 😞

20201215_152943.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm familiar with seizures in dogs but none of our cats have ever experienced a seizure. What type of med did your vet give you, e.g. Phenobarbital, Gabapentin or something else? When one of our dogs had a grand mal seizure followed by a petit mal seizure the vet prescribed Phenobarbital because it acts more quickly. However, I don't know whether the same is true for cats.

I thought this Article about Seizures in Cats might be helpful for you: Seizures In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Sending special thoughts to your cat and you. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got phenobarbital. After 9 years of once every 3-4 month seizure she got her first cluster. I suppose to give to her at night and morning but it was about 4 PM of her first dose since I got it that time

Raxstone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been a while. How is your cat doing now? I have a male that started having seizures, seems like one a year for the last 3 years. In addition, whenever he has a seizure his brother becomes super aggressive towards our third cat. They otherwise always get along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She had 3 I think in feb. Because I found her pill treats when I was cleaning. So I had to pill her . So far she is doing great. She had blood test to be sure she is doing good back in june. Hoping it keeps at this rate

It has been a while. How is your cat doing now? I have a male that started having seizures, seems like one a year for the last 3 years. In addition, whenever he has a seizure his brother becomes super aggressive towards our third cat. They otherwise always get along.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today my cat had about 4 cluster seizures. She got anti-seizure meds but how long for the effect? Can a seizure kill my cat? When she had one she does this. Does a seizure cat head hurt? Her blood test is normal. I have no idea what else I can do.

This was the first time she had that many seizures a day. Use to to be once every 3-4 months
These are great questions! I actually get seizures myself and can answer them through personal experience.

1. If you mean how long it takes for the medicine to start working, that varies. I don't know about phenobarbital.
2. What can kill your cat is constantly convulsing for several minutes. This happens if the patient is not medicated.
3. Seizures do not hurt. The patient has a weird sensation known as an aura, but it is not any kind of pain.

Seizures are 100% neurological. A blood test is only necessary if the patient is taking a drug that makes the liver go into overdrive.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
These are great questions! I actually get seizures myself and can answer them through personal experience.

1. If you mean how long it takes for the medicine to start working, that varies. I don't know about phenobarbital.
2. What can kill your cat is constantly convulsing for several minutes. This happens if the patient is not medicated.
3. Seizures do not hurt. The patient has a weird sensation known as an aura, but it is not any kind of pain.

Seizures are 100% neurological. A blood test is only necessary if the patient is taking a drug that makes the liver go into overdrive.
There are many different types of seizures, and seizures in cats can be very different to human ones.