how long should i keep my stray/feral cat in the bathroom before I give him more room to explore

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had Snap, my feral/stray, for 3 days at this point, he’s supper active at night and am planning on getting him a cat tree bc he seems to love to climb but he is by no means comfortable with me or my partner yet. He only eats at dusk and early in the morning, he uses the litter box regularly and is drinking water. He is never active in front of me but i’ve set up a camera. I go in there a few times a day to talk to him from a distance. My partners aunt, who’s a vet, is saying i should let him out of the bathroom now but i don’t want to overwhelm or scare him more. I don’t think she has any experience with feral or stray cats. So i just want to get a second opinion here, how long should i wait? is it more of a timeframe or are there’s behaviors i should try and keep track of? (sorry i feel like i’m asking a lot but this is my first time taking care of a cat moreover a stray, so i really wanna do right for him) There’s so little info online about feral cats to indoor ones.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have had Snap, my feral/stray, for 3 days at this point, he’s supper active at night and am planning on getting him a cat tree bc he seems to love to climb but he is by no means comfortable with me or my partner yet. He only eats at dusk and early in the morning, he uses the litter box regularly and is drinking water. He is never active in front of me but i’ve set up a camera. I go in there a few times a day to talk to him from a distance. My partners aunt, who’s a vet, is saying i should let him out of the bathroom now but i don’t want to overwhelm or scare him more. I don’t think she has any experience with feral or stray cats. So i just want to get a second opinion here, how long should i wait? is it more of a timeframe or are there’s behaviors i should try and keep track of? (sorry i feel like i’m asking a lot but this is my first time taking care of a cat moreover a stray, so i really wanna do right for him) There’s so little info online about feral cats to indoor ones.
Looks like Snap is getting used to being indoors as he showed it in his play in the night. As long as your house is cat safe, you can leave the bathroom door ajar and let him venture out on his own time. It could be overwhelming for him at first as again, the place opened to him is new. If he does not show any jittery signs or signs offer, you can do so immediately but slowly. You still keep the bathroom as a safe room for him just in case he gets freaked out, he can always return to the bathroom where he is familiar with.

Have some towels to soak up his scents for thinnest few days and then scatter the towels around the house so that when he comes out, there'll be familiar scents.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just seeing this now. Welcome to TCS. And thanks for bringing Snap inside.

Has he ever been to a vet? Is he neutered? Had his shots? Are there any other cats in the home?

I think the answers to those questions would determine how quickly you give him full run of the house. Is there possibly a spare room that you could set up for him? That would give him more space, plus free up the bathroom for the humans.

If he needs a vet visit, I'd probably try to do that before letting him out of the bathroom though.

Also, do you know his history? Is he a true feral? Or a stray? That does make a difference in how quickly he'll adjust to being inside, and to you and your partner. The fact that he's using the litter box makes it sound more like a stray though.

Here's some TCS articles that might be helpful:

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference - TheCatSite
Handling Feral Cats - TheCatSite
Adopting A Stray Cat - TheCatSite
The 5 Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With the skittish cats I also think about "encouraging" them to interact with loving humans first. If you give them a lot of space but they aren't okay with people, then they will just run away, hide, etc. If you have a smaller, confined space then they are sort of forced to get used to your presence and learn that you're okay. I think that'd be my focus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Has he ever been to a vet? Is he neutered? Had his shots? Are there any other cats in the home?

I think the answers to those questions would determine how quickly you give him full run of the house. Is there possibly a spare room that you could set up for him? That would give him more space, plus free up the bathroom for the humans.

If he needs a vet visit, I'd probably try to do that before letting him out of the bathroom though.

Also, do you know his history? Is he a true feral? Or a stray? That does make a difference in how quickly he'll adjust to being inside, and to you and your partner. The fact that he's using the litter box makes it sound more like a stray though.

he has been to the vet and had all of his shots, he has not been neutered but i plan on doing that soon. There are also no other cats in the home. I don’t know his history but i found him living in a cvs parking lot, not anywhere near a residential area. He did not live with any other cats and he was always in the same area of a parking lot and appeared to use an abandoned storage create as shelter. He has gotten a bit more comfortable with me now, i can be around him and as close as a few inches but any closer then that and he’ll hiss.

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the skittish cats I also think about "encouraging" them to interact with loving humans first. If you give them a lot of space but they aren't okay with people, then they will just run away, hide, etc. If you have a smaller, confined space then they are sort of forced to get used to your presence and learn that you're okay. I think that'd be my focus.
yeah i’m definitely working on that! i sit with him and i’ve been reading allowed next to him, and trying to get him more comfortable with me being closer to him. I just feel bad confining him to a small space because he gets curious at night and explores around the bathroom. So i’d like to give him more space as long as it wouldn’t hurt anything!

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much for links btw, i will read them as soon as i get the chance!

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah i’m definitely working on that! i sit with him and i’ve been reading allowed next to him, and trying to get him more comfortable with me being closer to him. I just feel bad confining him to a small space because he gets curious at night and explores around the bathroom. So i’d like to give him more space as long as it wouldn’t hurt anything!
I understand the sentiment as I'm currently confining a stray to a single bedroom, though not a large one. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to bond with her for half a year before I brought her inside. I do go through thoughts of being sad about confining her, but in the end, its all for the better. Think of it this way, while the space may be smaller than they're used to, they're also extremely safe from predators/humans, he's warm during a time where most the country is relatively cold outside, and they don't have to search for food. Even if he is still scared/hissing, he likely realizes this.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he has been to the vet and had all of his shots, he has not been neutered but i plan on doing that soon. There are also no other cats in the home. I don’t know his history but i found him living in a cvs parking lot, not anywhere near a residential area. He did not live with any other cats and he was always in the same area of a parking lot and appeared to use an abandoned storage create as shelter. He has gotten a bit more comfortable with me now, i can be around him and as close as a few inches but any closer then that and he’ll hiss.
Sorry if I missed it, but how old is he. Just wondering as since he's not been neutered yet, the chances of him spraying are higher. If he hasn't started yet, the soon you get him neutered the better, as that could prevent him ever starting. Good that he's had his shots. Thanks again for rescuing him. He is going to have a much safer and happier life thanks to you.

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry if I missed it, but how old is he. Just wondering as since he's not been neutered yet, the chances of him spraying are higher. If he hasn't started yet, the soon you get him neutered the better, as that could prevent him ever starting. Good that he's had his shots. Thanks again for rescuing him. He is going to have a much safer and happier life thanks to you.
the vet said he’s around 2 but he hasn’t started spraying yet. So i should get him neutered as soon as i can?

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand the sentiment as I'm currently confining a stray to a single bedroom, though not a large one. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to bond with her for half a year before I brought her inside. I do go through thoughts of being sad about confining her, but in the end, its all for the better. Think of it this way, while the space may be smaller than they're used to, they're also extremely safe from predators/humans, he's warm during a time where most the country is relatively cold outside, and they don't have to search for food. Even if he is still scared/hissing, he likely realizes this.
just curious how long have you had her in the bedroom for? i’m just trying to get a better understanding on how to handle my situation best. Thank you for the advice though, i really appreciate it :)!

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just curious how long have you had her in the bedroom for? i’m just trying to get a better understanding on how to handle my situation best. Thank you for the advice though, i really appreciate it :)!
I've only had her indoors since this past Friday. I have two boys and shes a runt so I think she gets intimidated by their size as well as the fact that everything is new to her, so shes hissing at them right now. Also she's FIV+ and while it is transmittable I've recently learned that + and - households can coexist.

That said, my situation is a bit different and I plan to take the long road on this whether its weeks, or even months. Not just for her safety, but my two boys as well. I'm going to do all I can to make her space comfortable though, and I can tell she already is comfortable but I had the pleasure of getting to know her for such a long time before this as I ended up becoming her primary care taker as she was outside. I do have a thread that I plan to periodically update if you want to keep an eye out on that, but in the end, it's really going to depend on the cats themselves and I have 3 now that are all entirely different personalities.

Oddly enough when I adopted my second, he had to have been about 3-4 weeks old but was lied to and told he was 2 months. I picked him up sight unseen but realized immediately how young he was. Fortunately for me my oldest boy adopted him as a baby within the first day of their interactions and I did not have to separate them whatsoever. Each case can be vastly different as you can see. Just take your time and dont rush it, and as cliche as it sounds, when you know, you know. It just sort of clicks one day. Sorry I couldn't offer any sound advice there, but the best to take from that is just play it by ear I feel.

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've only had her indoors since this past Friday. I have two boys and shes a runt so I think she gets intimidated by their size as well as the fact that everything is new to her, so shes hissing at them right now. Also she's FIV+ and while it is transmittable I've recently learned that + and - households can coexist.

That said, my situation is a bit different and I plan to take the long road on this whether its weeks, or even months. Not just for her safety, but my two boys as well. I'm going to do all I can to make her space comfortable though, and I can tell she already is comfortable but I had the pleasure of getting to know her for such a long time before this as I ended up becoming her primary care taker as she was outside. I do have a thread that I plan to periodically update if you want to keep an eye out on that, but in the end, it's really going to depend on the cats themselves and I have 3 now that are all entirely different personalities.

Oddly enough when I adopted my second, he had to have been about 3-4 weeks old but was lied to and told he was 2 months. I picked him up sight unseen but realized immediately how young he was. Fortunately for me my oldest boy adopted him as a baby within the first day of their interactions and I did not have to separate them whatsoever. Each case can be vastly different as you can see. Just take your time and dont rush it, and as cliche as it sounds, when you know, you know. It just sort of clicks one day. Sorry I couldn't offer any sound advice there, but the best to take from that is just play it by ear I feel.
thank you! i really do appreciate the advice, this is my first time taking care of a cat, so i’m trying my best to feel things out but the thought of messing up scares me. I will definitely take a look at your thread and i hope everything goes supper well with your three cats!

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you! i really do appreciate the advice, this is my first time taking care of a cat, so i’m trying my best to feel things out but the thought of messing up scares me. I will definitely take a look at your thread and i hope everything goes supper well with your three cats!
I've had plenty of cats my whole life and the first steps are never not scary. You honestly will never know how the next time around will turn out. You're trying, and you obviously have a caring heart for him, and I think that he will notice that with time no matter how he seems right now. It'll take Love, Patience... and of course food!

My thread doesn't have much in terms of adapting to the household yet, and there probably wont be any update there for about a week I'd imagine.

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had plenty of cats my whole life and the first steps are never not scary. You honestly will never know how the next time around will turn out. You're trying, and you obviously have a caring heart for him, and I think that he will notice that with time no matter how he seems right now. It'll take Love, Patience... and of course food!

My thread doesn't have much in terms of adapting to the household yet, and there probably wont be any update there for about a week I'd imagine.
thank you, your replies have really helped me feel better about things! i really hope he realize, one day, that he’s safe and has a comfortable home here

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Someone above alluded to it... try not to worry about bathroom confinement. Have you seen the little cages they are in at shelters? Your bathroom allows for some room. He can jump onto things (toilet/sink) and explore like you said he does. Just keep working on the trust. Take in wand or string (remove when you leave) to get him to interact. Have you tried treats? Find what motivates him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the vet said he’s around 2 but he hasn’t started spraying yet. So i should get him neutered as soon as i can?
Since he hasn't started spraying, neutering could prevent that from ever starting. He still might eventually spray, but it's less likely he'd stop spraying after being neutered, than to start after neutering. So, yes, sooner would probably be better. Neutering will for sure make the stinky tom cat pee smell go away.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless the cat has worms and you have no other pets he does not need to be confined. If you do have other pets give him a box to hide in the bathroom. Thanks for rescuing him!