How Long Is Bloody Discharge Ok?

Choptank

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my bengals first litter. She is 65 days. . She's had bloody discharge for 2 hours. She is calm as long as I am with her, she gets restless if I leave. Kittens are still very active.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Choptank

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should clarify... dark pink not red, with some mucus.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! How are things now? - I believe dark pink is not unusual, although i'm not a vet.

This is copied from a TCS article, that has to do with just after the kittens are born so that you can be sure to keep count;
During the birth process, the cat's uterus expels the kittens along with their placentas and a certain amount of blood. Sometimes something goes wrong and the bleeding doesn't stop. A placenta may be rooted too deeply in the uterine wall and without immediate veterinary help, your cat could die of blood loss.

What you can do: Follow the birth process carefully and be prepared for emergencies. Count the number of kittens and placentas as they are delivered and make sure all placentas come out. Have your veterinarian's contact details including the phone number for the emergency clinic in your area. Have the funds for paying for emergency vet care.

Here are some other articles to hopefully help you;
How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats

Fading Kitten Syndrome: 11 Things You Need To Know

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)

and, since time goes by really quickly
Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own

How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it sounds fine; this article: Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! says that discharge is normal, unless it’s green or brown or smells bad (as any of those can be signs of infection).

EDIT: I totally spaced out and justness realized that she has already had her kittens. This article: Post-birth Complications In Cats says that extreme bleeding postpartum requires immediate veterinary attention. I think a little blood is ok, but if there’s a lot, you should call the vet.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Choptank it isn't clear to me that the kittens have been born. When you wrote that "the kittens are still very active" in your first post did you mean inside their mom or after delivery?