How long for I-131 Radiation Therapy to work for hyperthyroid?

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Sam had radiation therapy for hyperthyroid (he could not tolerate the medication) on August 3rd-- so a little more than 2 weeks ago. He is still hungry ALL the time. We had this done for his sister 4 years ago and I do remember it took a bit for her hunger to go away, but I don't remember how long it took. This seems like a very long time to me. Should we wait a bit or give them a call?

It's hard to feed him because we can't leave food out for our other cats, or they'll become the size of houses. So we have to get up and get him a treat, and then 10 minutes later, he's meowing again. He's so sweet we feel bad ignoring him!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no has responded to your post yet. Have you searched this site for thread by all the members who have gone through this process before you? The one thing I thought I remembered reading was a period of separation for Sam from your other cats - if you are doing that, then feeding wouldn't be so much of an issue. I believe that applies to the use of litter boxes as well. At any rate, until other members come along with their first hand experiences, here is a link to many of the previous threads on this subject, in case they might help any while you wait.
Search Results for Query: radio iodine treatment

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it would be easiest just to call your Vet and ask them rather than hope someone with this specific answer will see your post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no has responded to your post yet. Have you searched this site for thread by all the members who have gone through this process before you? The one thing I thought I remembered reading was a period of separation for Sam from your other cats - if you are doing that, then feeding wouldn't be so much of an issue. I believe that applies to the use of litter boxes as well. At any rate, until other members come along with their first hand experiences, here is a link to many of the previous threads on this subject, in case they might help any while you wait.
Search Results for Query: radio iodine treatment
We aren't actually isolating because my best friend is a PhD in Chemical Engineering and works cleaning up radiation (and she's a survivor of thyroid cancer and radiation treatment). She looked up the levels they give to cats, and it's actually 1/10th what you'd get flying across the country in a commercial airplane. It's a fraction of what she was given for treatment, and she didn't isolate. There's no scientific reason to do it, it's just that they're applying guidelines for high levels of radiation where they don't need anything at all. The vet techs exposed to it more often need to be more careful, but with one cat recovering, there's no need to do anything different at home.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We aren't actually isolating because my best friend is a PhD in Chemical Engineering and works cleaning up radiation (and she's a survivor of thyroid cancer and radiation treatment). She looked up the levels they give to cats, and it's actually 1/10th what you'd get flying across the country in a commercial airplane. It's a fraction of what she was given for treatment, and she didn't isolate. There's no scientific reason to do it, it's just that they're applying guidelines for high levels of radiation where they don't need anything at all. The vet techs exposed to it more often need to be more careful, but with one cat recovering, there's no need to do anything different at home.
how interesting! Good to know. BTW, did you contact your Vet and ask how long it should take before your little one isn't so hungry?

PaperCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
quite curious myself, my Sunny was diagnosed just last month with hyperthyroid and atm i give him medication that applies via ear. I hope Sams appetite calms its very hard to say no when they beg so much, if anything id ask the vet. i could only hope to do the radation therapy for Sunny but its out of my budget sadly. I would try to feed Sam healthy chicken snacks as those have better protein and fats he needs.