How long do I keep my cats separated after spay?

lgrammie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just had my 8 month old kitten, Mina spayed 5 days ago. She’s been healing well and doing fine. I have kept her in my bedroom since the surgery but she’s going crazy. I’ve read that cats need to not be as active after spay, but I’ve given up on that! She does have a cone that prevents her from licking it. But I have still kept her in my room because my other cat, Artemis plays too rough with her.

Artemis and Mina are both very attached to me. They both howl and cry when they aren’t in the same room with me but know I am outside the door. They always sleep with me, but Artemis has been kicked out since he and Mina play too rough when I’m trying to sleep. I just caught him trying to kick at her stitches, so I had to separate them again.

I keep Mina in my room when I’m gone, and I assume they do fine while I’m at work. They are used to be being gone during that time. But at night it’s very difficult to sleep with both of them howling whenever I switch them out. I’m just wondering how long do they need to be separated? I’m losing sleep and it’s breaking my heart listening to them howl.

I know the usual time for a spay to heal is 10-14 days. I had asked my vet about keeping them separate and they said “a few days” but didn’t seem too concerned. Anyone else with multiple cats gone through this?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never separate mine after spay/neuter. It's more stressful for everyone when that happens.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I never separated any of my cats from the others after spay/neuter too, but I did keep a close watch when they interact or play, and still kept the cone on. However, when I had to leave the house, I'd confine the spayed/neutered cat in a room just to make sure.