How long can a cat stay in the first stage of labor?

aroles1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am just curious as I've read up that it's up to 36 hours but can it last longer for first time litters?
I was also curious on if a single unborn kitten may delay or take longer to develop unlike a full litter of kittens?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats can be pregnant be several different males and there can be a gap between when kittens in the litter were conceived. In these cases a cat may deliver the kittens conceived first before she delivers those conceived later.

There can be a break of a few days between the kittens being born, but the cat shouldn't be in active labor for that long.

It is also possible that if one kitten in the litter dies in the womb the cat will deliver that stillborn but premature kitten first, then her pregnancy will continue until the rest of the litter are full term.

A single kitten won't take any longer to develop than a large litter.

Is your cat in labor A aroles1020 ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aroles1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Showed signs of nesting but still very active. Seen a little bit of browish discharge around the vulva. She's been sleeping in her box more. Slowed down on eating but still eating. So no active labor. She also has gotten to the point I found out shes in the 1st stage of labor before the active labor begins because there are times she won't let me leave her alone in her box. At times she will relax and lay there if my hand is in the box unlike before. She's been purring alot more than usual as well and still following me around. I know she's pregnant cuz an independent cat that doesn't act that way and becomes very clingy is one of the big behavior changes. I also know this cuz I've seen it or them move, I've even felt at least one that pulled away but haven't felt it since. She also has pinkened up more since the first time I've checked.

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now is a great time to prepare for the kittens! You should have powdered kitten formula (not Hartz), needleless syringes, and a scale that can weigh in grams.

is mom inside and 100% away from intact males? She can get pregnant again within a week of delivery. If you give us the nearest city to you, we can help to find a low cost spay clinic for after delivery.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sounds like she's getting close. Here are a few articles to help you prepare.

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – Cat Articles
How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – Cat Articles
Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – Cat Articles

talkingpeanut talkingpeanut is right, she can get pregnant soon after having her kittens, so if possible book a spay appointment now for in a few months time. It's also a good idea to have your closest ER vets details on hand in case anything goes wrong during delivery.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

:goodluck: