How Large Will My Boys Be?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys are quite huge for their age, we guesstimate they were born Oct 11, 2018 so around 19 weeks or so, and Fynn (Grey/white) is well over 7lbs, Jethro (tabby/white) is around 6.7lbs. Fynn is huge, I mean he's always been the biggest of the litter but he is the size right now that many cats grow to be lol. He doesn't even fit on my lap anymore haha. Both parents were on a farm, both short hair but quite big cats. We got him and his siblings into a rescue I volunteer with when they were 6 weeks old. They also have older siblings we think and they are quite big as well. I know one is 8-10lbs and he was born last July. Fynn (Sir Fynnegan) is either a domestic medium hair or long hair and he is long, and tall. Jethro is a medium hair and long but shorter legs. I think Jethro would be 10-11lbs and Fynn 12-14lbs but wanted to know what you guys think. I know a lady who adopted a kitten who looked like Fynn as a baby and well he turned out to be 22lbs lol. Don't get me wrong I love big cats but thats huge haha. The vet even said Fynn needed to go on a diet when he got his last set of shots at 16 weeks old (he was well over 5lbs then, gained almost a pound in two weeks lol) but he doesn't look fat to me. He is just tall, long, and a solid kitten. While Jethro is super light, like air lol but not skinny in that you can see or feel his ribs. They couldnt be any more different if they tried lol. But did anyone else have huge kittens? What size did they grow to be?

A pic of them when they were 6-7 weeks old and photos taken the 12th this month.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are GORGEOUS!!
I often wince when vets talk about putting kittens on a diet, especially little ones!

Their growth can't be stopped by decreasing food, but by restricting food the nutrients necessary for brain, eye, muscle, bone, nervous system etc etc won't be available in the required amount/degree.

They may end up being more than 12 pounds, I'd guess :)

You wouldn't happen to have a different vet you could start seeing, would you? I'm afraid that if your current one is already squawking about your babies' weight and they aren't even 6 months, never mind a year, you'll never hear the end of it. Vets have GOT to realize that a cat can be large without falling into the dreaded (rightly so) obesity issue.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . Find a new vet. Kittens that young should not be on diets. They're growing like crazy, and restricting nutrients can impede development in many other capacities.

Also, based on your photos, your two are far from overweight. They look perfectly healthy.

(I have no size predictions, but I will say that my boy, who is 10.5 months and 14 pounds, was definitely under 5 pounds at 16 weeks, so I'm pretty certain that yours will be even bigger.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes the boys aren't on a diet, we feed them raw so it's hard to get fat on that lol. He was actually very um round at that time. But no I won't be using that vet, it was just a vet I used through the rescue I volunteer with (it's close to me). I'll be going more then likely to the force free vet. It's further away but worth it.
I just was curious to see how big you guys think they will be. They are my first kittens, I adopted felice when she was 11 months old, and only foster other kittens so never really got to see how big they get haha.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Goodness, what gorgeous ones! I love their markings, especially that one with the marking on his nose all the way to his mouth. Such cutie patooties! :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry about my kittens that are almost the same age & weight as yours. I kept asking "are they small for there she?!?" The vet reassured me they should gain about a pound per month. I finally figured out it wasn't their weight throwing me but the fact that at 5.5 months old they are still about 2 inches shorter then the resident adult cat (looking at shoulder height.)

I wouldn't worry about your cat's weight .... rather judge there fatness by there body size. There was an article on is your cat obese on this website that might help.

BTW your kittens are quite handsome!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and my two boys were 13 & 13.5 pounds and they were in the chubby but not obese category. :) So no reason to worry. Plus if he is part Maine coon or the bigger breeds, I would expect the cat to be 15-18 pounds-huge-and not over weight!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah I honestly have no clue if they have maine coon in them or not. Both their parents are short hairs and out of the litter of 4 it's just one short hair haha. The dad was a solid cat (not fat just pure muscle). They are quite interesting, Fynn is pure mass, like not fat but muscle and bone. He always looks round pretty much no matter what lol. But its not like its fat, you can still kinda feel his ribs. While Jethro is the complete opposite, he generally doesnt have a round stomach, and you can see his hips but like Fynn you dont really feel his ribs at all. Jethro is kind of the energizer bunny he can go and go, while Fynn gets tireder faster so I think its just because they have different metabolism. Some pics of momma, them when they were young (6-7 weeks old) and today.

Attachments

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as an update for people who aren't sure about their kittens sizes. My boys ended up being just a little over 12lbs :) Fynn is a massive cat, very tall and very long, he's not nearly as fluffy as his brother. He continued to grow until he was a year and 6 months old. Jethro isn't as tall but is just as long, and has a bigger head lol. He is extremely fluffy! Like all fluff! He stopped growing a little over a year old. I currently have another fur baby who is a kitten and over 8lbs at 6 months old... No small cats for me.. nope. Never.

2020-03-04 12.25.34.jpg
2020-03-16 12.36.25.jpg