How far along?

TFlanny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an expecting mama cat and this is her first pregnancy. I have no clue on how far along she is but I suspect soon. Hoping someone might be able to help me guess on when they might think? I have been able to visibly see the kittens move for nearly 2 weeks now. I’m very nervous for her as she is only around a year old and it looks like she has quite a few in there. Any guidance or thoughtful words would be appreciated!

Attachments

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness! It's the wrong time of year to claim she swallowed a watermelon but that's what it looks like. If you have seen kitten movement for a couple of weeks I think she's getting close to delivering. Next sign will be when the kittens sort of drop and mama cat suddenly looks somewhat smaller. Good luck!

She has a nesting box with towels that may be washed or discarded? Making babies uses lots of nutrients. You are providing ample food and perhaps also some KMR (kitten milk replacer) which is high in calcium and nutrients? A little plain yogurt or some goat's milk are alternatives.

And thank you for the pictures. We here at TCS love pictures. All pictures, especially new kitten pictures when the time comes. Even more, thank you for your good care for this about-to-be momma cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TFlanny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My goodness! It's the wrong time of year to claim she swallowed a watermelon but that's what it looks like. If you have seen kitten movement for a couple of weeks I think she's getting close to delivering. Next sign will be when the kittens sort of drop and mama cat suddenly looks somewhat smaller. Good luck!

She has a nesting box with towels that may be washed or discarded? Making babies uses lots of nutrients. You are providing ample food and perhaps also some KMR (kitten milk replacer) which is high in calcium and nutrients? A little plain yogurt or some goat's milk are alternatives.

And thank you for the pictures. We here at TCS love pictures. All pictures, especially new kitten pictures when the time comes. Even more, thank you for your good care for this about-to-be momma cat.
I have been feeding her dry and wet food. I will see if our local store has KMR if not I’ll look into the alternative. I have made 3 different nesting boxes— none of which she seems interested in yet. I worry about her size! I don’t know how she could get any bigger than what she is but she still seems to be carrying very high!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're beautiful, just like their mama! Glad all went well. She was certainly close to delivering when you first posted.

TFlanny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're beautiful, just like their mama! Glad all went well. She was certainly close to delivering when you first posted.
I definitely was not expecting her to have them as quickly as she did. I’m just glad they are here!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get weights on the kittens and weigh daily. With 6, you may have a runt or two who may need supplementing.

How is mama kitty doing? If she is panting a lot or breathing heavily while nursing, give her a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink. She needs the extra calcium through her nursing days.

TFlanny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get weights on the kittens and weigh daily. With 6, you may have a runt or two who may need supplementing.

How is mama kitty doing? If she is panting a lot or breathing heavily while nursing, give her a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink. She needs the extra calcium through her nursing days.
She is doing great! No panting or heavy breathing. I was afraid to pick them up to weigh them, it won’t affect her bonding with them will it?

TFlanny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night I had to move momma cat and babies to their own room. She is not wanting to be with them 24/7 like she was. Is this normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may pick up the babies to weigh them. It will not affect their bond. Mom is allowed to take breaks away from the kittens while they sleep, as long as she goes back to them when they cry for feedings. Be sure she has room to fully stretch out for nursing 6 kittens in the nest. She should stay in the same room with them. Did you put mom’s food, water, and litter nearby in the room? That will help.

TFlanny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You may pick up the babies to weigh them. It will not affect their bond. Mom is allowed to take breaks away from the kittens while they sleep, as long as she goes back to them when they cry for feedings. Be sure she has room to fully stretch out for nursing 6 kittens in the nest. She should stay in the same room with them. Did you put mom’s food, water, and litter nearby in the room? That will help.
Yes she has a litter box, food and water. She ended up moving them again into a cat cube bed. I think she liked it because it was dark. I have to keep the door to that room shut while I’m gone so my other kitties are not going in there. She seems very attentive to them, I just worry since I’ve never had a momma cat before.