How Does A Cat Break A Leg?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To make a long story short, a longtime stray showed up with a broken hind leg that required amputation. He is now resting comfortably and quietly in my bathroom thanks to good ol' Buprenex.

The leg had what appeared to be hole that was draining pus. The vet said it was either a drainage tract or the bone poked through the skin :eek2:. I thought I saw two scabbed over holes in his foot. The vet didn't focus on the holes (if that's what they were) because she was concerned with amputating the leg. The cat was also missing a huge patch of fur in the upper inner leg and very lower abdomen.

Any ideas what could cause a broken leg that requires amputation? I guess I'm wondering whether someone did something to him, including set a trap out or if a larger animal got him. I thought the vet said there were a lot of little broken bones in there, which is part of why they couldn't repair it.

The whole thing just blows my mind.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless you for helping this kitty!!
It could have been a predator, but with the missing fur I'm thinking he had a near not-quite-miss with a vehicle.
I'm SO glad he has you!
... hopefully more stray than feral? In other words, you'll still have an intact bathroom when he starts to improve?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my rescued ferals had a broken leg that had healed crooked a few months before I took her in. An x-ray showed there was a bullet still lodged in her hip. In her case, someone had shot her, the bullet broke the leg and lodged in the hip. I am learning from talking with different people, some of whom complain about cats getting into their trash or hanging out on their porch, that it is not uncommon for such people to poison or shoot the cats. Your cat could have been shot, or injured herself getting hit by a car, or falling off a tree, or from any hasty action while running from a predator. I guess you could always call your vet back and ask her if she has any idea what may have caused the break. It's wonderful that you rescued this cat and are caring for her. I've been told that my little cat with a bullet in her hip might one day need an amputation if her pain were to become too great, and that she could adjust and function. Cats are amazingly resilient. You've done a wonderful thing.