How do you know if a cat gets cancer?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dread the moment if my cat would get cancer like my other cat, but then aren't related. How rare is cancer in cats?

My cat is 15, her last blood work for health was December.

How often do I need to do blood work? She's also on phenobarbital for seizure.
I dread the moment when it's her time and it's scary to think of. She's been picky lately.
I don't know how to please her, I don't see any tooth problem. She eats her treats like she starved for days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't answer how often cats get cancer, and I am not sure there are any 'valid' statistics/studies to denote the commonality of it.

But I can say that for a cat of 15 years old, they should be having a geriatric checkup (which includes the mouth) and full blood panel (CBC, Super Chemistry, and thyroid) done every 6 months. Most of the time it is wise to have a urinalysis done at the same time too. If your cat did not have the full-scale blood work done in December, you might consider getting the rest of the panel done now, especially since you talk of her acting like she is starved.

However, her acting starved could also be nothing more than her being picky about her regular food. Some cats as they age tend to get a bit pickier about what they eat. Even though that never seems to be the case with their favorite treats!!

If she had the full-scale geriatric exam and blood work done in December, but you really think there may be an issue going on, there is no reason not to set up another appointment with the vet and repeat it now anyway. Older cats can have health issues crop up at any given time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no idea the cost of all those, but probably have to go to one that takes care credit. What is geriatric? I don't know if they include that

I can't answer how often cats get cancer, and I am not sure there are any 'valid' statistics/studies to denote the commonality of it.

But I can say that for a cat of 15 years old, they should be having a geriatric checkup (which includes the mouth) and full blood panel (CBC, Super Chemistry, and thyroid) done every 6 months. Most of the time it is wise to have a urinalysis done at the same time too. If your cat did not have the full-scale blood work done in December, you might consider getting the rest of the panel done now, especially since you talk of her acting like she is starved.

However, her acting starved could also be nothing more than her being picky about her regular food. Some cats as they age tend to get a bit pickier about what they eat. Even though that never seems to be the case with their favorite treats!!

If she had the full-scale geriatric exam and blood work done in December, but you really think there may be an issue going on, there is no reason not to set up another appointment with the vet and repeat it now anyway. Older cats can have health issues crop up at any given time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no idea the cost of all those, but probably have to go to one that takes care credit. What is geriatric? I don't know if they include that
Geriatric is the new 'buzz' phrase for cats that are older than 14 or so - many vets still refer to cats at that age as 'seniors'. Find out what tests they ran in December and see if they categorized them as part of a senior exam. If they ran all the tests then along with the standard exam, then you will know the cost. If not, ask for a quote on the costs so you will know what the overall price would be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sure will. Never had a cat lived this long to do these blood check. Probably because my family didn't like indoor cats. So she is one of the 2 that never went outside. Lost one to cancer at 11 back in 2018, so sudden