How do you feel about...

yelloweyedcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a general post really. (Again)  I'm always curious (Nosy) to know what people think on things.

I was just wondering does it annoy you when you come across many posts you have most likely seen posted three times in one day by different users? (Just wait, you'll tell me this has already been posted before.
)

Back on another forum I was on people got really angry when newbies or even seniors would post a topic when the same subject had been posted, say, four months prior to that. They would strongly encourage people to use the search button instead.

I personally believe that is quite pointless as a forum would not thrive if all people were to follow that rule as many posts would ceace to exist. That, and I would find it easier for me to to post my subject, regardless if it has been posted before, as the previous post may not have covered everything I wanted to know, that and I wouldn't want to take over someone else's post if they really need help.

Again, I am curious.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think many of us that have been members for a while go :argh: when we see the inevitable "What's the best food, litter, etc for my cat". :lol3::lol3::lol3:

Having said that, with so many new members coming in on a daily basis, it needs to be asked. Now if someone asked it a week or two after the same thread had been posted, I would probably merge the threads. Four months though? I would certainly let that go. If it is a Behavior or Health question in many cases it needs to be a new thread because it is so specific to each situation. :nod:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since we are human, the reaction Karen mentioned is the first thing that we have, then our love for cats and this site kicks in and we try to answer each person as if the question had never been asked before.

Forum - a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.  Even the Romans had citizens asking the same thing that had been discussed 20 minutes ago.

One reason we get so many duplicate questions is that IM, twitter and other similar forms of media are teaching users that the only question or comment that counts is their own.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back on another forum I was on people got really angry when newbies or even seniors would post a topic when the same subject had been posted, say, four months prior to that. They would strongly encourage people to use the search button instead.
Try posting on TV.com!  Impossible!  You get spanked once for creating a new thread, and if you do it again, you get banned.

I'm not sure the purpose of a forum if you can't create threads to talk about stuff.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen all kinds of things go on on other forums.  One of the problems I see is when people find a forum by say doing a google search. They may come across a thread or even just a site; but in their haste (whether it's their situation or something else) they quickly post without looking around or looking at the age of the thread, etc.  I know when I came here it was because Mooch had the runs and she was still a small kitten.  I was worried.  I don't really see a problem with people posting again if there are no recent threads on a subject; especially in a forum that doesn't move too fast.  One of the pregnancy sites I was on would move so fast that someone could have asked the same question an hour ago and it would be pages and pages back.  Then the hormonal people would post another thread to vent about the posting of other people.  It felt like middle school.  Fortunately my Mama taught me to hold my tongue if I didn't have anything nice to say!  
  It just don't find it worth getting riled up over!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it happens with newbies at a dog forum I moderate at. But, they don't know any better since the forum is new to them.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It bugs me that people react that way.

I am very active on a couple of car forums and I co-own an owners club, and I see people get worked up over a question that may of been asked a few times already and I think what a lot of people forget is that they were once like that and asked the same sort of questions when they were either younger or first starting out.  Some people aren't familiar with how to use a search function properly.  It's just a case of directing the person to the right place.

I wouldn't be able to do my mentoring role on here if I got angry over the same type of questions I get asked LOL!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Try posting on TV.com!  Impossible!  You get spanked once for creating a new thread, and if you do it again, you get banned.

I'm not sure the purpose of a forum if you can't create threads to talk about stuff.
TWOP (Television With Out Pity) is like that, too. I think you have to discuss what's already in the existing threads, rather than start a new one.

Right after I started posting here, I decided to ask people what they were reading. I didn't see a post about reading and thought it would be OK. Well, it's up in Paws and Reflect. Fortunately, they took pity on me....that's why the new thread says "The Sequel". I felt "this" high when I saw it
. Oops

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right after I started posting here, I decided to ask people what they were reading. I didn't see a post about reading and thought it would be OK. Well, it's up in Paws and Reflect. Fortunately, they took pity on me....that's why the new thread says "The Sequel". I felt "this" high when I saw it
. Oops
sometimes thats the problem with searching the title might not be obvious straight away

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure this has been thrashed about but I'll throw in my :2cts: I belong to several forums so the posts are usually the same in many cases from forum to forum anyway. So I'm used to it. I think much depends upon who the poster is. If it's a long time poster, I think they would know to use the search button. Now posters not so much. So I am patient and will answer the posts because they need to be addressed, in particularly if the poster is a new pet owner looking for information.

I think the the health section all of those posts need to be addressed. Generally through discussion more information is revealed about a condition and we find that the original symptom is actually caused from something totally unrelated that has the same symptom. If that makes any sense.

I think all the posts are important. Yeah, sometimes the redudancy can be a smidge irritating but hey... we're all here for the same thing. Pets First!!! :clap:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I'm not bothered by it at all.  I have on occasion searched a forum on every thing I can think and not come up with anything that pertains specifically to what I'm looking for, so I post.  Sometimes nice people point me to a thread I missed, and I'm grateful.  And if I think maybe I can help someone in any way by posting in a repeat thread, I will. 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are always new things coming out like food, litter, toys, brushes, etc. Also there are always new members with different ideas. A lot of times I learn something new from threads that are repeated.