How do you cope with having an aging furry friend?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You groom your dog yourself, don't you? Can you work on his toenails?
We're boarding a dog who had such poor mobility I think the owners were starting to wonder how long to let it go on. He was due for a bath, and I really worked at his nails with the dremel. They said when they picked him up, they noticed his mobility had improved so much. We've boarded him several times and I've noticed a huge improvement, too. We've been keeping on top of those nails and he still is arthritic with some aches and pains, but, the nubby-short nails have REALLY made a huge difference in how he's able to get around. :)
Have you considered toe grips? They slide onto the dogs claw and help give them traction on hard floors, we used them on our old golden who had long claws and they really helped with the sliding they look simaler to claw caps for cats with the tip cut off. They don't need to be glued on either

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You groom your dog yourself, don't you? Can you work on his toenails?
We're boarding a dog who had such poor mobility I think the owners were starting to wonder how long to let it go on. He was due for a bath, and I really worked at his nails with the dremel. They said when they picked him up, they noticed his mobility had improved so much. We've boarded him several times and I've noticed a huge improvement, too. We've been keeping on top of those nails and he still is arthritic with some aches and pains, but, the nubby-short nails have REALLY made a huge difference in how he's able to get around. :)
I often do groom him myself, but I've started taking him to the vet groomer every other time or so just to have a professional get their hands on him. :lol: He has black nails and is a little antsy for me when I've tried to cut/dremel them, so they make me nervous. The groomer at the vet does a great job of keeping them short though.

He's got his annual exam coming up in about a month or so, so I'll ask them what they think then (they'll be tired of me, I have a long list of things to ask about!). But I've heard that Librela injections are available in the US now and people really like those so maybe worth a try?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow Thank you! Looks like there are pros/cons. It also may be costly (?) but he's currently on Galliprant and it's pretty pricey and I don't think helps at all. He's not immobile, but he's having more bad days where it's hard for him to do normal things and I think being in pain is detrimental to his mental health as well, which is already pretty precarious, lol.

So we'll see. Trialing pain meds can be really frustrating.