How do you clean cat's puke...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Autumn puked last night, she hasn't done that in quite a while.  I used soap and water but that didn't do much at all.  What do you use to clean this mess?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yes it was on carpeting, I mean where else would they go right?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely - I've observed all of my animals to actually run across the hard (and easy to clean) floor to reach a nice rug to vomit on :rolleyes:
We've always used standard antibacterial multi purpose cleaner for clean up, but the rugs are dark and heavily patterned and, to be honest, are now so old that we're past caring :lol3:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Of course. My dog is the worst offender and while she's the oldest of the group at almost 13, she has been doing that since we got her when she was 2. She has NEVER had an accident of any kind anywhere but on the carpeting. It's almost like her bodily functions go on hold until there is carpet under her feet. 

Henry is a trip. He had an accident (his first) on the rug in his room. Lilith likes to take stuff and leave it around. I think she took a paper napkin and left it in his room. When I got home and checked on him, I found a #2 partially hidden under a napkin. Either he fit his butt under it to go or he put the napkin over it. After I found it, I looked over at him and he was crouched down trying to hide behind his blanket. I almost laughed but didn't. I cleaned it up and I told him it was OK and everyone has an accident sometimes. After I was done cleaning up, he was sitting up straight again and no longer had the "woops. I'm in trouble" look on his face. He's never been in trouble. Silly boy. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick uses water and a little dish soap and then rinses it as best he can. We also have carpet cleaner for when they puke a lot.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wait for it to dry and then vacuum it up.  If there is a stain, I use that spray on and rub rug shampoo or just some laundry or dish soap with water, and then vacuum after it's dried.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use OUT! Orange Oxy-Fast Stain & Odor Eliminator on rugshttp://outpetcare.com/cleaning_solutions.html There are a couple other cleaners for carpet and rugs and one for hard floors. I scoop up anything solid, try to absorb most of the liquid with paper towels, apply the claner, and damp wipe several minutes later.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely - I've observed all of my animals to actually run across the hard (and easy to clean) floor to reach a nice rug to vomit on :rolleyes:
We've always used standard antibacterial multi purpose cleaner for clean up, but the rugs are dark and heavily patterned and, to be honest, are now so old that we're past caring :lol3:
Vomiting is a very physical process for the cat (maybe dog too)... all that heaving and gagging. A rug or carpet gives them traction to hold onto with their paws or claws as they try to stabilize themselves trying to get through the ordeal.

Vomiting is very miserable for them, I always feel bad for my cat when he does (at the same time very frustrated).

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The traction assistance that a fabric surface offers hadn't occurred to me. I always feel bad when they vomit too. My greyhound has digestive issues and goes through phases of vomiting...he always looks so miserable. I'm less sympathetic when my lab vomits purely from inhaling her food instead of eating sensibly.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to use dish soap and water, which worked great when the carpeting was new. As it has aged however, I find that a smidge of laundry detergent works even better.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I clean my own carpet and usually have some left over carpet cleaner around.  I have an older beige carpet that seems to usually need spot cleaning.  I mix up some carpet cleaner in a bucket and go around and spot clean with that. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely - I've observed all of my animals to actually run across the hard (and easy to clean) floor to reach a nice rug to vomit on

That's why I replaced the carpet with hardwood floors before I moved into my place. Carpet and pets do not mix
I do have a small rug under the cat tree and an entryway rug but at least those can be lifted up to get to the stains and soaked in liquid at the botom of the rug fibers. The entryway rug can be hosed off as well.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I hadn't gone back to renting I wouldn't have carpet just a few throw rugs but as a renter it isn't my choice.  Very few rentals, except the high end luxury rentals have hardwood floors..  They get damaged and are expensive to replace.  Laminate is much cheaper to replace but more easily damaged. 

I agree I don't care for carpeting with pets or babies and small children.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Bissell carpet cleaner.  I also have the Bissell Spot Bot the kind you can either set over the stain and just let it do it's thing or use the hose with a brush attachment.  I like to use it for my upholstered furniture with the hose because it's smaller and lighter then the regular carpet cleaner.