How Do I Show My Cat That They Shouldn't Be Scared

Tibby123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is only 6 months and he has been wanting to go outside for ages. Last week we let him out and he was very happy about it. The first day, when he came back home his tail was very brushed. The second day we let him out, he was out for one hour and then he came sprinting from the bushe's and was manically bashing on our door. I suspect that something is scaring him, maybe because we live near a park and he saw a large dog , I'm not sure. But lots of the other cats in the neighbourhood seem to not have a problem. He is always chattering at the birds, but runs away when we open the door for him to go play. I don't really want him to be an indoor cat already, how do I encourage him to want to go outside again??

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outside is fun for cats, until it isn't. Cats face many dangers outdoors, from people, cars, and other animals. I truly think indoors is safer in so many ways, and your kitten has decided so too.

At 6 months he is still quite young, he is still afraid of a lot out there, and with good reason. If he has not been raised by his mom outdoors he most likely does not know how to defend himself well. At his age i would keep him inside, once he is older you may decide to put him out, but while he is a baby cat i would let him stay in. He doesn't stand a chance against older male cats, dogs and other things right now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. It's a big, scary world for a small cat. He may be more willing to explore outside later. Or, you could train him to walk on a harness and leash until he is comfortable outside, then allow him off-leash in your yard. For my part, I'm all for keeping cats indoors, myself, although in some parts of the world it is considered cruelty.