How do I know if theyre ready to go?

SnazzyJazzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an incredibly dark title and stuff, so I sincerely hope that I'm not upsetting anybody.

So, a long while back I made a post discussing my cat's health. Nothing really came of it, my mom was firm on just making sure chipsy is comfortable instead of "throwing cash out the window" for treatments she wasn't convinced would work.
She was diagnosed with a Squamous cell carcinoma (you were right), though we are unsure on whether or not it actually spread to her organs; she had gotten an x-ray before that showed odd dots on her lungs I believe. She's also had bad blood work a while ago, but she hasn't been at the vet for a longer time now.
Up until roughly the 27th December, Chipsy was doing pretty well, but lately her health has been deteriorating to the point my mom is considering euthanasia.
On top of her previous state, she seems to have problems with her left eye; she keeps it closed most of the time and it looks red and puffy, it also reflects light differently? We're not sure what it is, but she started keeping it closed the week before Christmas.
She's been losing a lot of fur as well, and the bals spot she had on her neck back when we first got her is back.

I'm torn. I want what's best for her, but I'm not sure what is? She spends most of her time sleeping, she's still affectionate, but she complains a lot. She's been a lot more clingy as well.

Right now, she's sleeping curled up next to me on my bed, something she never did before. My mom is going to call the vet tomorrow, and chances are that we're going to have to put her to sleep.
I'm scared that we're interpreting everything wrong. But how would I even know when it's her time?

Again, I'm really really sorry if this isn't the place, I'm just dreading the vet visit tomorrow and don't know what to prepare myself for :[

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi SnazzyJazzy SnazzyJazzy I'm so sorry to hear that you're facing this decision.

It's something that every pet guardian and their vet have to decide on together. No two cases are ever the same. All I can say is that you don't want their last day to be their worst day ever. If an animal is deteriorating and only faces more suffering before ultimately passing away, it's better to let them go while they still have some quality of life. Better to say goodbye when they are still affectionate and able to rest, than when they are in too much pain to do anything other than suffer.

:hugs::hugs:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The hardest thing to do is to let them go because they're suffering, but it's the responsibility of every pet parent. I look at the quality of life and if they are having more bad days than good days. I would rather euthanize a day early than a day late.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I waited too long to put my cat josie down. She was crying and very constipated one day. the vet would not put her down without an appointment. She was in so much pain they finally agreed to let me bring her in and sedate her.she is no longer in pain. I have 3 wonderful cats which helps

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats that are not enjoying life anymore almost always stop eating and start hiding. If she is not doing her 'normal' things, bring her to the vet and see wat they say, they usually know........from your descriptions she may have a 'cold' going on. Please take her to your vet and check her out. I'm so sorry you are going through this, please give her a kiss for me. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers......

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are obviously a loving mom/dad do not fret, know that you have done well.
spend time loving her and thanking her for giving you so much love.
Our hearts are with you, we have all been there.