How Do I Get My Cat To Stop Swatting At My Other Cat.

nikki.abbate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there,

My boyfriend & I recently moved in to a new place in October, we lived together before but I left my cat Frankie at my moms house, until we could find a new place to introduce our cats on neutral turf. My boyfriends cat Scruffles is 6 and 1/2 but he's tiny weighing only 8.25 lbs(he was the runt of the litter). Frankie is 2 but is much longer and muscular weighing about 13 lbs so naturally he is kind of the bully. We introduced them properly kept the in separate rooms, then over time switched them and let them out in the apartment to get familiar with it. Eventually we started cracking the door to let them see each other. Then we got a couple baby gates so they could really see each other before taking the gates away. They fought a bit at first, but nothing serious no one ever got hurt except for minor scratching here and there, this all took about a month, maybe longer. Now they reside in the same territory and tolerate each other for the most part, but they still sometimes (mostly Frankie) swat at each other. I don't know if they're still determining whose the dominate cat or what. I just want it to stop mostly because Scruffles seems to now be suffering from asthma which I believe is partly due to this new stress in his life and possibly this apartment too. (we've since got an air purifier and switched their litter hoping to relieve his occasional attacks) It's strange though sometimes they do sleep on our bed together like this photo I've attached. I know this may be as good as it gets, just having them tolerate each other I just want the swatting to stop for Scruffles sake. Any advice is much appreciated!
FullSizeRender.jpeg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, don’t think you can. It just happens between cats that are less than best friends and sometimes even among friends. As long as all out fighting with biting and fur flying doesnt occur things are good. If they sleep next to one another they certainly aren’t enemies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good for you for being proactive with the purifier and litter switch, hopefully that helps your boy. If there's carpet, I'm assuming it was cleaned prior to you moving in, does it have an odor indicating maybe the cleaners didn't rinse all the residue out?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know what happens, including if your environmental adjustments help :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikki.abbate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good for you for being proactive with the purifier and litter switch, hopefully that helps your boy. If there's carpet, I'm assuming it was cleaned prior to you moving in, does it have an odor indicating maybe the cleaners didn't rinse all the residue out?
There is carpet actually and our apartment does have a distinct smell to it, I noticed that the moment we first walked in the place. I'm not sure if they were cleaned but I'm going to assume they were because our landlord painted before we moved in, and the carpets look fairly new. I did just get down and actually smell it though (lol) and it doesn't smell like cleaner or anything. It's just so hard to remember how long after we moved in this all started but I want to say it was at least the beginning of January.

I will say the new litter is great with covering up odors and doesn't have that nasty scented litter smell like the arm n hammer one we were using before. Maybe I'll make a separate post about his asthma in another forum. My friend is a vet tech at the office where I take my cats too so she's been really great with helping to give me advice, esp because her cat has asthma, but I'll take all the extra advice I can get. I've been thinking about trying fish oil since it has anti inflammatory properties, I've also heard good things about Lung Gold but it's almost 50 bucks a bottle. I'll definitely keep you updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikki.abbate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you sure they aren't just playing? My two cats still punch each other in the face sometimes.
I think they are just playing most of the time, but sometimes Scruffles freaks out and kind of yelps out, and then there is some hissing. Sometimes he just wants to be left alone and Frankie won't let him be. Frankie can kind of be a bully, Scruffs will just be trying to walk by and Frankie will swat at him, and if Frankie is up on the bed with my boyfriend and I Scruffs will just sit there and stare almost like he's afraid to come up and hang out. For the most part they are fine. I just wish with Scruffs having this asthma thing Frankie would stop being a jerk and bullying him, but alas they are cats.