How Do I Get Her To Pee In The Box? Desperate Now.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you talked to your vet about anxiety meds, like Prozac? We have a kitty with a very similar problem. He’s nine and has had UTI problems intermittently all his life. At this point, even when he’s UTI-free, we have issues with his peeing inappropriately, usually brought on by stress, like when we brought new cats into the house or when we’re out of town and he’s being cared for by a sitter.

He’s just a high energy and high anxiety kind of cat. We tried all kinds of things, too, and nothing worked, so we finally put him on Prozac. We use the transdermal gel kind because I’m no good at pilling cats, either, and he wouldn’t eat the flavored Prozac ‘treats.’

It’s made a world of difference for him, and for our lives. That isn’t to say he doesn’t still ‘stress pee’ sometimes, usually if we’re out of town or something. But it’s taken care of 90% of the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you rubysmama - those links are amazingly helpful. I haven't totally decided if we're 'there' yet but just looking at my options.

Has anyone used a behaviourist? They're super expensive and I don't want to bother if they just tell me to add a box.

I just saw your post betsygee - I wonder why my vet didn't mention it?? After such a negative outlook on how she is just a stressy cat who'll never change. Honestly, that made me think that i'll have to re-home her. Is it different to Zylkene? I'll ask about it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you rubysmama - those links are amazingly helpful. I haven't totally decided if we're 'there' yet but just looking at my options.

Has anyone used a behaviourist? They're super expensive and I don't want to bother if they just tell me to add a box.

I just saw your post betsygee - I wonder why my vet didn't mention it?? After such a negative outlook on how she is just a stressy cat who'll never change. Honestly, that made me think that i'll have to re-home her. Is it different to Zylkene? I'll ask about it.
We tried Zylkene but it didn’t do a thing. Our vet suggested Prozac but said she wasn’t sure if it would work for him or not. Thankfully it did. We were desperate—we’d had to throw out a couple of living room chairs that he ruined. :cringe:

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm learning how to tile my hallway floor because she's ruined the carpet!

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is 9 years old, and you've been through all of the lab tests. She will use the pee pad, but only if they are on the floor.
This is a long shot, but one that you may want to at least try. Maybe she has some arthritis and is having some difficulty getting into the box? The move may have just been coincidental or maybe she has to go up more steps so it hurts too bad to get into the box. I'd grab a shoe box lid and throw some litter in there and see if she will use that.
In other news I have had great success with using prozac transdermal in stress peers

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is 9 years old, and you've been through all of the lab tests. She will use the pee pad, but only if they are on the floor.
This is a long shot, but one that you may want to at least try. Maybe she has some arthritis and is having some difficulty getting into the box? The move may have just been coincidental or maybe she has to go up more steps so it hurts too bad to get into the box. I'd grab a shoe box lid and throw some litter in there and see if she will use that.
In other news I have had great success with using prozac transdermal in stress peers
Sorry for the late reply.

Do you think it could be arthritis if she'll willingly jump up into the bath to pee?
I do think that she doesn't like the look of any of the litter trays anymore though.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Might not be, but after what hinges my dog react differently to stepping one by one vs whole jumps, its worth a shot.
Also, it seems that maybe she has a fear of the litterbox from the previous urinary stuffs so using a lid may help her feel like it's not a box.