How Do I Begin A Wet Food Rotation?

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'm new to the concept of a wet food rotation for my cat. She has been eating only two flavors within the Weruva brand along with some dry food during the day. I ordered her a variety pack of Tiki Cat and it's arriving tomorrow. How do I transition her to new wet diet without causing tummy upset? My plan is to find about 3 different brands to feed her. Weruva will not be included in this rotation. I'm considering Fancy Feast Classic pate, since I'm on a budget. Is that any good?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Fancy feast classic pate is fine :)

One way that's suggested is to start by putting about 25 percent of the food dish in the new food while leaving the other 75 percent as the old food. Then half and half, and then 75 percent is the new food, and then you'll have the entire quantity on the plate as the new food. The timing is entirely up to your cat's tummy :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Fancy feast classic pate is fine :)

One way that's suggested is to start by putting about 25 percent of the food dish in the new food while leaving the other 75 percent as the old food. Then half and half, and then 75 percent is the new food, and then you'll have the entire quantity on the plate as the new food. The timing is entirely up to your cat's tummy :)
Thank you. I will try that😊

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Tiki is so expensive, I mix it with cheaper food so it lasts longer

2 of my cats have no problem with giving them a different can every day. One of my cats does so slow transition for her

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same question about rotating between different cat foods and based on the answer sounds like that depends on the cat.

My Hima currently eats two different wet foods a day, as well as some dry food. But she doesn't do well changing the wet foods daily. I usually rotate when I can tell she's getting bored (leaving more wet food on the plate uneaten, not getting excited over the food in the morning when she's hungry.) Usually she can go a season like 2-3 months with the same wet foods without getting bored. (I would change every month if I could find more wet foods that work for her)

My personal worry about rotating food daily or weekly is that when/if a digestive problem happens, it's unclear how much if any of it was about the food or the combination of the foods.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, about 6 months ago I started incorporating other brands and flavors when my normal brand I bought (Fancy Feast) failed to have sales within my expected price range to afford buying. I tried to slowly change brands/flavors over a couple of days, but all three of my cats stopped wanting any food, when before they always gobbled wet food up! They did like the food because they gobbled it the first or second time in the row received, but any more than that, they turned up their noses!

I started giving a different food/flavor for each meal, and they all had smelly poops that were wetter, but I had no other choice. After a couple of weeks, all three had their poop go back to normal. I'm guessing they got used to it. Many people may not advise this, but I had no choice since they stopped eating if they did not get a new flavor/variety at each meal. This may not work for everyone, but my cats got used to having a rotation in this fashion it seems. Something to consider. Hope you find something that works!