How did you memorialize your pet?

callmecatherine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wondering how any of you have memorialized your babies. I had to put down a cat for the first time in December.

What I really want to do is get a weighted plushie made of him but I think the makers of those never get the faces right. Those that make needle-point dolls DO get it right and look amazing but if I was to sleep with that it would get messed up. So I'm going to try to get a regular stuffy.

I think I will also compile his photos and make a book.

What have you guys done?

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have my three childhood cats as a tattoo I drew myself. One of them was a little extra special to me and I have some pictures of her and a whisker in a picture frame. When I buried her I put some dry flowers I liked in the ground with her. Used to save her collar as well but my new cat recently needed one for a cone and that's the only one I have. It's kind of funny because the cat who died hated other cats so she would not be happy knowing the collar went to another cat xD
But I'd like to think she'd want whatever I wanted.
Maybe you could get a nice needle point version of your cat to have to look at, and a more simplistic looking stuffy version to cuddle with?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried getting a portrait done of my husband's favorite cat but it turned out more like a cartoon so I wasn't happy. Recently got him one of those night lights that have a picture of your pet etched in plastic. When the light is on, it has a picture of the pet that looks exactly like the one uploaded. Much happier with this purchase than the other one.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought special urns and created a list of memories. I put their paw prints in shadow boxes with items they loved. Some of their ashes will go into my garden - they loved being in the yard. When I pass, the rest of their ashes will be scattered with mine. For one of my special ones, I have an initialed heart on a necklace I wear every day.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried getting a portrait done of my husband's favorite cat but it turned out more like a cartoon so I wasn't happy. Recently got him one of those night lights that have a picture of your pet etched in plastic. When the light is on, it has a picture of the pet that looks exactly like the one uploaded. Much happier with this purchase than the other one.
For pretty cheap you can have your favorite picture printed on a canvas frame for $40-$50 at many places like. Costco or Target or Walmart etc.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a pawprint made when Casper passed. It's in a nice little leather box on our fireplace mantel, along with his collar sitting on the box. I also had a portrait done from a photo I'd taken of him by an amazing artist I've commissioned work from previously. It's a small oil painting and is also on our mantel. Expensive, but worth it.

Casper Jelena.jpg

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have their ashes in urns (wooden boxes with names on them). My son has been instructed that when I pass away, he can do whatever with the boxes, but to move those ashes into the urn with me. I do have paw prints (plaster cast) from Domino. Their name tags are inside with the ashes, and with Circe's, her collar had this bling rhinestone heart in the middle of it, so that is also with her.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a picture framed of Ebony and put up permently downstairs

I also, instead of getting her ashes back, made a donation to the rescue I got Willow from (I don't mean the adoption fee for Willow, I mean extra as a way of doing good out of something bad)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my sister's friends did a diamond dot picture of my Swanie, my heart kitty. It is hanging in my computer room (dining room) behind me.
We had bricks made for the walkway at the local college of vet medicine
All three that we've lost we had cremated and their urns are on our mantle, along with pictures, paw prints, and tufts of fur.
I've made dontations to the resuce where I volunteer in their honor.

I miss them all so much it stil hurts.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my sister's friends did a diamond dot picture of my Swanie, my heart kitty. It is hanging in my computer room (dining room) behind me.
We had bricks made for the walkway at the local college of vet medicine
All three that we've lost we had cremated and their urns are on our mantle, along with pictures, paw prints, and tufts of fur.
I've made dontations to the resuce where I volunteer in their honor.

I miss them all so much it stil hurts.
I understand, I still miss my sweetpea Ebony and look forward to the day I join her at rainbow bridge, I'll always miss her she was my angel who came into my life at a time when I needed someone who gave a crap and she gave me a reason to not kill myself

the memory of what happened that took her still haunts me to this day

its 6 years ago this month

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have all three past kitties ashes in beautiful oak boxes, a clay paw print on little easels in front of them, a small "treasure" box with their favorite toy and a whisker or tuft of fur, and a digital picture frame that rotates through various photos. The nice thing about the picture frame is that they're way cheaper than they used to be, and I can easily update pics/expand the memory on the type I purchased if needed. This is all set up in a cute corner curio cabinet in my family room, with a battery operated candle on the top shelf. I turn it on every morning and say good morning to each one, and turn it off every night and say good night to each one. ❤

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have my precious baby Winnie’s urn with a picture of her near it. Lil chorkie, was truly an emotional support animal. Would lick my tears when I cried… she died suddenly at 2 years old. It’s been 6 ish year I believe and I still have a hard time talking about her. I also have a tattoo of her paw. I plan on getting my kitties paws tatted on me as well!
IMG_8376.jpeg
IMG_0615.png
IMG_0921.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have ashes, paw prints, rainbow bridge poems, fur clippings, and like many others I have a "memories" journal. Anytime a cute memory pops into my head, I write it down. Even if it's something random or silly, like the time Levi turned a massive dramatic mid-air cartwheel over my older dog walking across the floor, or the time Goofy chased a mouse (clumsily, I might add) and purposely let it get away, then ran to me chirping as if to say "Aren't you proud of me, Mom, I almost had him!"
My cats urns are all together. They are surrounded by the things listed above, as well as angel statues, photos, small stuffed animals that resemble them (Willie has a little stuffed lion to memorialize his big, beautiful mane) and an adorable hanging statue of a cat happily snoozing away in a hammock hanging above the entire grouping. There's a small radio that plays one of my favorite stations 24/7 (the same station playing was present at my step-Dad's funeral to provide the music) and it has been playing quietly, non-stop, since the summer of 2022.
If I get flowers for the passing of a pet, I dry them and store them in a mason jar. When my Papillon Tag passed, a friend brought me roses. They were later dried and the petals saved in a jar. A year and a half later, I pull the lid off the jar, and the scent of roses is there. My sister passed a few days after my Tag did, and a friend of my Mom's sent us both small wooden crosses. I did not know my sister well, so that cross is on his urn for them both, as well as pennies I found after their passings. The vet who treated him has written a book, and the signed copy sits next to his urn along with photos, toys, and other things I have. He also has an electric candle that comes on in the morning and shuts off during the afternoon. Last year, around April Fool's Day, the candle malfunctioned and burned for an extra 8 hours. I swear, it was Tag playing a little joke on me. I originally had it burning overnight, but their little candle burns too bright for me to sleep!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost every one of our dogs, from when I was growing up, that died were buried in the family pet cemetery, under some trees, in the back yard.

Before the dogs were buried, my father took off their dog collars and hung them up on a nail in the wall of the dog shed, right inside the door.

That's where the collar hung, forever, so it would always be handy when you want to take him for a walk, again, someday.

This was never a written rule. It was hardly spoken about, at all. It's just the way things were because it's the way things were "supposed to be."

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend that paints in oils and I commissioned him to paint Louise knowing she would be gone soon. It is a work in progress since it would take about a year to complete.
From the photo in my Avatar I ordered several things from Zazzle:
I have her on a 3d keychain which is crystal and that lights up when the button is pressed. It is Beautiful .
I also got a tall mug with several photos on it
And 2 pillows from Zazzle with her photo. They are VERY sturdy and thick and the seams will not burst.
Her ashes are on a table with photo,faux candles and fairy lights. You can see those over on the Rainbow board.