How can I stop my cat chewing his tail

FairygodBeBe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We decided to rescue a cat last fall. We were going to rescue a grown cat but I was at a friend's in early December and they had just found a kitten in their barn. We all figured he was between 6 and 8 weeks. Something had gotten him. His tail was gone and he only had about three inches. It looked good and it was scabbed over as well as a bad scab on his chin. We took him home and the next day were at our vet's. He thought the tail looked really well and it was healing just fine. He did warn us that sometimes these, I think he called them spontaneous amputations or something along the lines basically to say in the wild, do require further Medical amputation. We've been back to the vet five times in these 4 months. Three for his regular monthly kitten visits and shots. Each time the tail looks great where it was removed and is healing. The problem is he will chew on it and chew to the point where he bleeds.

He doesn't act like it hurts him and he isn't sensitive about it but we are! My daughter took him in two weeks ago and they gave him an antibiotic shot and a steroid shot and think that perhaps it's itching from the healing inside. We discussed amputation again neither side really wanting it but it's got to remain an option. Oh and they also sent him home in the cone of shame. It's just didn't work well. He couldn't eat or drink.

We're now on our third cone. First the plastic when the vet sent home, then a velvet plush one we bought online and now an inflatable. None of them work. As you all know cats are very bendy creatures. He's like a wet spaghetti noodle and can reach any part of his body that he wants to reach.

We took him in to be neutered yesterday and we saw one of the other vets since ours wasn't available. And he wanted to put the amputation off another three or four months. Again, we're good with that. He's the one that suggested the inflatable collar. And again it doesn't work. They gave him an antibiotic shot because it looks like the tail was starting to ooze. When we picked him up the next day they gave us some sort of ointment I'd have to look and see what it is that goes on alternating ears every other day that's supposed to help with the tail chewing. Maybe a topical steroid?

We have no idea why he's chewing. He'll let it go for a while and it'll start to look pretty good and heal over except for patches of hair missing. This is driving us all crazy. Again he doesn't seem concerned. Doesn't seem sensitive around the tail at all.

It's been suggested by other people that it's anxiety, the vet, actually both of them as well as my daughter think it's healing and the way you heal from a deep wound it always itches. Could be. No, he does not have fleas. Someone else has even mentioned that it could be phantom pain.

If anyone has any wisdom we would appreciate it. My niece works at a rescue for dogs and she says they use pool noodles around their tails and usually they're thick enough and free enough that they stay put. I guarantee you that won't work here. I did think about going to the hardware store and looking for some sort of air conditioning tubing or the automotive store. LOL at this point it's any port in the storm. It's not a matter of his neck not being able to bend because his entire body bends and that tail curves up to his mouth as well. Did I say cat spaghetti?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
We decided to rescue a cat last fall. We were going to rescue a grown cat but I was at a friend's in early December and they had just found a kitten in their barn. We all figured he was between 6 and 8 weeks. Something had gotten him. His tail was gone and he only had about three inches. It looked good and it was scabbed over as well as a bad scab on his chin. We took him home and the next day were at our vet's. He thought the tail looked really well and it was healing just fine. He did warn us that sometimes these, I think he called them spontaneous amputations or something along the lines basically to say in the wild, do require further Medical amputation. We've been back to the vet five times in these 4 months. Three for his regular monthly kitten visits and shots. Each time the tail looks great where it was removed and is healing. The problem is he will chew on it and chew to the point where he bleeds.

He doesn't act like it hurts him and he isn't sensitive about it but we are! My daughter took him in two weeks ago and they gave him an antibiotic shot and a steroid shot and think that perhaps it's itching from the healing inside. We discussed amputation again neither side really wanting it but it's got to remain an option. Oh and they also sent him home in the cone of shame. It's just didn't work well. He couldn't eat or drink.

We're now on our third cone. First the plastic when the vet sent home, then a velvet plush one we bought online and now an inflatable. None of them work. As you all know cats are very bendy creatures. He's like a wet spaghetti noodle and can reach any part of his body that he wants to reach.

We took him in to be neutered yesterday and we saw one of the other vets since ours wasn't available. And he wanted to put the amputation off another three or four months. Again, we're good with that. He's the one that suggested the inflatable collar. And again it doesn't work. They gave him an antibiotic shot because it looks like the tail was starting to ooze. When we picked him up the next day they gave us some sort of ointment I'd have to look and see what it is that goes on alternating ears every other day that's supposed to help with the tail chewing. Maybe a topical steroid?

We have no idea why he's chewing. He'll let it go for a while and it'll start to look pretty good and heal over except for patches of hair missing. This is driving us all crazy. Again he doesn't seem concerned. Doesn't seem sensitive around the tail at all.

It's been suggested by other people that it's anxiety, the vet, actually both of them as well as my daughter think it's healing and the way you heal from a deep wound it always itches. Could be. No, he does not have fleas. Someone else has even mentioned that it could be phantom pain.

If anyone has any wisdom we would appreciate it. My niece works at a rescue for dogs and she says they use pool noodles around their tails and usually they're thick enough and free enough that they stay put. I guarantee you that won't work here. I did think about going to the hardware store and looking for some sort of air conditioning tubing or the automotive store. LOL at this point it's any port in the storm. It's not a matter of his neck not being able to bend because his entire body bends and that tail curves up to his mouth as well. Did I say cat spaghetti?
Thank you for taking in this special boy!

As a note, I am not a vet (NAV). While I have/had many cats with both surgical and wild amputations (just what we refer to them as, not a scientific term), I have noticed issues more often in the "wild" variety. It's very possible that this is because the nerves, muscles etc weren't properly amputated and there could always be pain and discomfort associated with that. Cats hide pain extremely well. Pain in the wild is seen as a weakness and the weak are attacked first. So while he doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, it's possible that he's just hiding it well.
I would recommend a proper amputation when the vet says it's time, which could remove any issues that could be causing him discomfort under the skin.
As for keeping him off of his tail, try an Ace bandage wrap, and make sure you wrap it around the tail AND his mid section so he can't just yank it off.
Any pictures would also be welcomed/helpful to everyone in trying to find a solution.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I really have to agree with Mr. Meow Mr. Meow on this. I have dealt with ferals who were victims of wild amputation and it never ended well...meaning I eventually had the tail amputated entirely. IMO the wild amputation left parts of the tail to heal in a way that is causing nerve pain. Even with surgery in humans, there can be nerve pain a long time after the original surgery because as time passes the nerves start to regenerate and it can be painful....and that is in an operation which was properly done.

Your little guy has basically a "non professional" amputation and I believe that is the cause of the problem. Usually, in amputations in animals, the entire limb or appendage is removed, not just the lower part. Amputation is not all that disturbing and is, in fact, a pretty clean procedure which will end the problem once and for all. I have a three legged GSD so have first hand experience with this.

I did have to laugh... yes, I have been to places like Home Depot and Harbor Freight trying to explain to some poor salesperson that what I need is not for the house but for the dog.