Hoping someone can help me here.

scooter89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was able to come across a kitten free to good home about 4 months ago, but the owner was unsure of the breed. Brought him home and did some research online and the only breed my girlfriend and myself can figure him to be is a pixie bob. Even our vet could not tell us 100% what the breed was, so hopefully someone on here can help me. He fits almost all of the characteristics and temperaments of a pixie bob, we would like to just confirm this. I have attached the 3 best pictures I have right now, but if anyone needs any more to help me confirm his breed, feel free to ask, it's not a problem. Also his name is Scooter and he is 4 months old and weighs 6.2 lbs.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome
I don't know anything about cat breeds, he looks just like a DSH tabby to me but like I said I know nothing about breeds, he is absolutely gorgeous though. x

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like most cats, he's a domestic.

Without pedigree papers it's not possible to determine a breed 100%, also most vets don't know breeds very well unless they are involved in breeding/showing cats.

Scooter is gorgeous

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness - he's a great example of the beautiful breed of cat to me!! Look at those eyes and that coloring - and he looks very smart to me too!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has a tail, so not a "Pixie Bob." However, he looks quite the pixie, and you could name him Bob...

The description of "personality" for any cat breed is almost always the most enthusiastic description the breeders can think up. There is a LOT of variability in cat personalities, even in purebreds.

But, best of all, it looks like he got the "good home" part from you!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's a domestic short hair of the feline cute variety! What a handsome boy you have!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The description of "personality" for any cat breed is almost always the most enthusiastic description the breeders can think up. There is a LOT of variability in cat personalities, even in purebreds.
That's not been my experience, I've been around dozens of cats of the same breed and the majority fit their description. You will find the odd one that's a bit quiet or extra active but nothing that varies too greatly.

Breeders don't just "think up" the personality description.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never go by personality to pick a breed. Your kitty is a very cute brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair - not any particular breed.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Handsome cat! What a face!
The vast majority of cats are not a breed OR a mix of breeds. Many people are used to thinking in terms of dogs, where most are a breed or some mix of breeds. So it's not surprising that people figure cats must be the same and if they just look at pictures of the cat breeds they stand a good chance of finding out what breed their cat is.

Except the odds are the cat has none of the breeds in it. The pedigreed breed cats all put together are only about 3% of cats. There has just been a lot less cat breeding (I mean in a controlled sense ) than dog breeding. They've mostly just bred randomly. So most cats don't have any breed. Vets, shelters, etc. classify them as "domestic" and then by their hair length. So yours would be "domestic shorthair" (but that's not a breed, it just means no particular breed.

And then they're classified by their coat color and pattern. As GoldenKitty said, this cute cat would be called a brown mackerel tabby. "mackerel tabby" is the striped kind. (Actually some people call this a "black mackerel tabby" which is genetically more correct but some cat associations call it 'brown'. )