Honey Bun survived a walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last surviving girl kitty, Honey Bun, aka Tar Baby, got back from the vet's yesterday after "vacationing" there since last Tuesday Feb. 2, 2022 for what turned out to be an intestinal blockage, caused by a hairball, caused, in turn, by a high fever which caused her to overgroom herself, and not eat.

She's still bony as can be, but alive and sweet, and feisty and lovable as ever.

The doctor said she might have gotten the germ from fleas (which she had, alas) so get religion on the flea killer.

Honey Bun loves you all (and everything else, except being stuck at the vets' for a week). She doesn't even mind helping with my taxes (that's a much older picture). The smaller in the rearview the Valley of the Shadow of Death gets, the better. She seems to be okay otherwise.

The doc gave steroids and antibiotics, to both stimulate appetite and fight off any lurking bacterial infections. She's eating, though I'm gonna confine her away from the other kitties with plenty of food, water and litter and see if I can get a measure of what she's eating, drinking and pooping.

tar baby taxes curly toes.jpg

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she's back home with you. It's a good idea to keep her separate just so you can check on what's going on with her. Please give Honey Bun a get well soon ear rub from me. You must of been so worried about her sending hugs and good vibes your way too:vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A big part of the fear factor was that I'd lost my other girl kitty, Zika, a very short time before, with symptoms that were superficially similar, but appear to be of very different origin. Both had become skeletal and listless and lost their appetites.

Zika turned all yellow from the accumulation of poisons and there was no hope for her. R I P Zika

Honey Bun was different, and hopefully will get better. I got her in 2013 June, and so come June of this year she'll be a full 9 years older than she was in June of 2013, plus however old she was then. I recall she was roughly middle aged, so she's either a senior or getting close now.

Gonna enjoy her sweet sunshiney love while I can.

I guess the lesson is check with the vets, sometimes the answers and prognoses vary. A lot.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad she is where she belongs, at home! You are such a good cat daddy, I'm sure she appreciates you even though she would never tell you that, being a cat. I'll bet she is SO glad to be at home, and I bet you are too. She is a lovely little girl, I pray only the best for her!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad she is where she belongs, at home! You are such a good cat daddy, I'm sure she appreciates you even though she would never tell you that, being a cat. I'll bet she is SO glad to be at home, and I bet you are too. She is a lovely little girl, I pray only the best for her!
She loves my roommate and me, and she tells us all the time! (Sits in our lap, talks to us, head-butts, the other stuff.) And we love her back for it.

That's why we're both so jazzed she appears to be making a full recovery.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, it's been a week she's been home, and Honey Bun continues to improve, and resist my giving her steroids and antibiotics. But she keeps eating too.

She's still bony, but no more "Stegasaurus spine." It's a lot harder to feel her rib cage. She's running around and mixing it up with the other kitties. She even gave Conan a face washing, before he batted her away! :lol:

She spent part of last night cuddled in the curve of my body while we both slept.