Home Remedy or OTC Meds for Cat Laryngitis

jaaade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello all. there is a stray cat that hangs around my house that's lost his meow, coughing, runny nose and eyes (sometimes), terrible breath among a few symptoms. he is otherwise very energetic, strong and seems happy and ok overall. well, he seems a bit underweight and i'm feeding him now so hopefully he will get some meat on his bones, but seems to not bother him haha. which i'm glad. he doesn't seem like he is in any pain, he's really very "ok" from the outside except the laryngitis. no telling how the poor guy actually feels :( . i'm not sure how long he's been on his own nor how long he's had his condition. we just moved in the area.
Is there anything at all available over the counter that could help this little guy that i can put in his food? or home remedies? i understand that some underlying conditions will need vet intervention such as a tumor and some nerve paralysis of some sort. completely understand that. but wanted to do what i could to help if i can. i am unable to take him to the vet unfortunately. currently, the only thing i can think to do is give him good food and shelter. i made him a warm cozy house in the garage.
thank you for your help.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try calling around and talking to different vet clinics to find out what their policies are regarding stray cats. This cat really does need to be seen by a vet and treated for his condition(s). It is also very important to know human medicines should never be given to a cat or any other animal unless a vet gives permission. Welcome to The Cat Site, and please give us an update on this poor kitty.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am going to guess that, at the least, you are looking at a URI. If it is an uncomplicated case of that, it should not be a huge bill. It will be easier to treat correctly once than to try to use questionable remedies which probably won't solve the problem.