Hole In Cat Belly

Krisseismycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone please help me! My parents adopted a cat a few days ago very irresponsibility and the cat was spayed but I seen she has a open hole on her lower stomach it has a horrible smell and they refuse to take her to the vet due to time.. I’m not old enough to take her myself nor have the money. Please help me find out what it is so I could maybe take some precautions. Please!

(the second hole in the picture)

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Krisseismycat Krisseismycat

That looks infected to me. The fact that you can smell something bad also suggests your cat needs to see the vet again. Please tell you parents that an infection can be life threatening if the cat doesn't get treated for it.

She really needs antibiotics, but the vet will need to clean and sterilise the incision and possible re-suture it.

Most vets won't charge any extra for treating a spay incision on a cat they spayed. That kind of after care comes as part of the package. All your parents need to do is to get her to the vet for treatment.

Do you have any other relatives or a neighbor that could take you and your cat to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krisseismycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Krisseismycat Krisseismycat

That looks infected to me. The fact that you can smell something bad also suggests your cat needs to see the vet again. Please tell you parents that an infection can be life threatening if the cat doesn't get treated for it.

She really needs antibiotics, but the vet will need to clean and sterilise the incision and possible re-suture it.

Most vets won't charge any extra for treating a spay incision on a cat they spayed. That kind of after care comes as part of the package. All your parents need to do is to get her to the vet for treatment.

Do you have any other relatives or a neighbor that could take you and your cat to the vet?
Thank you for replying! The cat was spayed at the shelter so I won’t be able to go back in I would have to follow up with a new vet. It breaks my heart that they would get a cat knowing they couldn’t take her to the vet as an emergency like this. Unfortunately I don’t have anyone that lives near me. I will try to get into an emergency vet tommrow but there isn’t much in my area. Thank you again for replying!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you get in touch with the shelter? If you send them the photo you posted here and explain the situation they will help you. An ER vet will charge you more than a regular vet will, a shelter vet will treat the cat they spayed free of charge. After care of that kind is part of what you pay for when you take the cat to be spayed originally.

That way all you need to pay for is transport back to the shelter and you could take the cat in a taxi or uber or something.

May I ask how old you are? Are you old enough to take the cat back to the shelter by taxi on your own?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krisseismycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never thought about calling the shelter so I will do that first thing they open. I’m 16 years old so I will be able to a taxi/Uber. You have definitely calmed me down as I already feel very attached to her! I’ll try everything I can to make sure she’s okay. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
THANK YOU SO MUCH for letting us know! We fret about things like that. I'm thrilled that she has medications, and a collar, and is doing well.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, that's great news! I'm so glad to hear she's being treated for her infection.

:catlove:

I hope you'll stick around and share some more pictures and stories about her as she grows up.

:thanks: