Hogging all the fun

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 6-7 month kitten and her 1 1\2 yr old mom.
Any toys or games they get the kitten jumps right in and steals all the fun. If there is a feather wand,the kitten leaps and grabs ,while the mom wants to crouch and hunt. Mom ends up walking off to the side and just watches like..''why bother to even try''. I try to aim the playing so mom can win, but she gives in to the baby.The mom even creeps into my bed to get attention and a respite from her active one when she has a moment alone.
If there is a game,she sits on it so mom cant play and when she leaves she gets off and lets the motor resume. I thought i was imagining it,but someone else agrees.
Any suggestions?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How bonded to the kitten is the mother? She might be a very good Mom cat who is letting her kitten win the game to increase confidence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Total bonding. Could very well be. She is the perfect mother.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats who live together and who both like play will do this. If both want to play, we do it in separate rooms. It's good for both cats to get some play time - exercise and bonding with you. Cats often play differently too - different speed, style, pace, toy preferences, etc. Sometimes one just goes full out all the time and the other prefers to stalk and pounce.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kris is right. Indy used to be this way with Kabuto and now Bond is this way with Indy. I get two teasers out and each cat plays with one.

I also do seperate them so Indy can get her one on one time with me.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's best to play with mom cat when there's a closed door. She needs time to play, and there's only one you!

We often have to close the bedroom door to play with Magnus. Ghost and Calcifer can get in the way, and then he gets frustrated.

However, I know it's important for their stress levels to get some playtime in. At first, no one liked this closed door nonsense but as it became part of our routine, they've all accepted it well. Magnus now even plays more on his own with toys AND in front of the other boys during joint playtimes.

Check out social vs individual which starts at about 8 min mark in the video:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's best to play with mom cat when there's a closed door. She needs time to play, and there's only one you!

We often have to close the bedroom door to play with Magnus. Ghost and Calcifer can get in the way, and then he gets frustrated.

However, I know it's important for their stress levels to get some playtime in. At first, no one liked this closed door nonsense but as it became part of our routine, they've all accepted it well. Magnus now even plays more on his own with toys AND in front of the other boys during joint playtimes.

Check out social vs individual which starts at about 8 min mark in the video:
Packed full of info and instruction. Thanks for posting the link,Alldara