Hoarding situation: Coming to the experts for help!

Catturda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon, long time lurker, first time posting.

I am in need of some good advice. The company I work for regularly comes in contact with the family of people that have passed away and left animals behind. Usually if the family lives out of state they are unable to take in a loved one’s pet. This situation is very unique. The family discovered their mom was a cat hoarder. She left behind almost 30 cats! Along with major damage to her home.

My question is, where would they turn for help of that magnitude? They have offered to help a rescue financially but they have limited means.
They are located in Tennessee and any advice would be more than appreciated.

Thanks so much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. These folks are wonderful to try to help! They should search the internet for all rescues and shelters in the general area and then reach out to each and every one of them directly, as there may be room for a few in each place. Checking on the Next Door Neighbor web site may be another resource, and contacting all the vet offices and clinics in the area might reap some benefits too. The more people/groups they reach out to the better the odds to find homes for these cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on the severity, public health may need to be contacted. I'm not sure what condition the building is in but if there is black mold or decaying waste/trash they may need to send in a special clean up crew to deal with the building itself. If it is in absolute shambles then you may consider demoing the building and rebuilding or selling the lot.

As for the cats, contact animal control or a local rescue, they deal with these types of scenarios or at least can direct you to the right department.