Hiw did our cat get this injury?

Brisco1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat (male, not sure how old but think he's young) is very much an indoor-outdoor cat. He spends about 50% of the day/night outside. My roommate installed a pet door, so he comes and goes as he pleases. We absolutely adore him! This morning he came in with a cut high up on one of his hind legs, near the groin. We're wondering how he got it. The skin around the cut looks like it was shaved, so I'm thinking someone might have done that to him on purpose.

He's a typically curious cat, loves to go exploring. There's a new apartment building under construction right across the street, so at first I thought maybe he climbed somewhere at the construction site and cut himself on something sharp or jagged. But the cut looks too clean for that. Any ideas where this came from?

A few months ago he disappeared for several days, then turned up with one ear docked. We learned that the city does this to stray animals; docking the ear is to let others know that the animal has been neutered. Since then he's been microchipped, vaxxed and wears a collar w/our address & phone number on it. So I don't think the city would have done this, but we're perplexed by this injury.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! There is no way to even remotely - much less accurately - guess what might have happened. Cats who spend time outdoors are bound to get in situations that result in cuts, scrapes, bruises, or worse. Some of those things can even happen in the home too. If you suspect someone did something to your cat, there isn't much you can do about that either, other than keep him inside or buy/build a catio/cat enclosure in your yard to keep him in an area where he is less likely to get into things where he can get hurt.

Your best bet is to have your vet take a look to ensure it isn't becoming infected.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Who knows how he got the cut, you’ll likely never know, but honestly this is not one but two spooky incidents in a relatively short period of time, next time it could be worse, can you just keep him indoors?

I’d be especially concerned with construction going on nearby. Stuff happens. Many many years ago my mom was having some drywall fixed. The next day my grandma, who was visiting, heard meowing from the walls— the workers had literally trapped her cat inside the walls.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Don’t know about the cut. It doesn’t look animal made, and it would be weird for a cat to get themselves into a situation where there is just one small cut. That leaves human.

Cats often hide in car engines to be warm and have horrific fan belt injuries or fatalities.The fan belt injuries, if not severe can look like that, but it is usually much much worse.

The hair looks shaved because he has most likely been licking it.

He is a beautiful cat. I would keep him inside if you love him. One day he might not return home and you will feel horrible.

I have turned many outdoor cats into indoor cats. It is easy to do and just requires a little patience. They soon forget outside was ever a thing they wanted to do.

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a handsome little man!!!!! Looks very painful and as everyone said before there is no way of knowing what caused the injury. Please consult a vet!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I understand that you love your cat, but he is perceived by others as a stray which is not really good news. It would not be impossible for someone to decide that he needs a different home. Believe me, it happens despite the fact that he wears a collar and is microchipped. Cat hoarders often feel that cats are "safer" with them, regardless of the actual condition of their property.

The construction site, or anything like it, is a clear danger. My friend had an indoor/outdoor cat who was trapped in a construction site for 10 days, despite her pleas to the workers to look for him.