Hives

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spent the morning in the Urgent Care with hubby. He has rash, welts, etc. The doctor said it is hives. No idea what caused it. Hubby has steroid prescription, and is advised to take Allegra and Zantac along with the steroid. Hubby is asleep now. Guess all this stuff wore him out.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry for him! I've been there!! :nervous: I looked so bad people were staring at my in Walmart while I waited for my prescription to be filled. I found better control with Benadryl and calamine lotion. The first steroid didn't do the trick so we had to try another. It took a few weeks before it fully went away. The doctor said he didn't think we needed to do allergy testing unless it happened again. Thank the Lord; it didn't!! But boy I was miserable for the first few days. I tried to stay out of work one day but I ended up going in to work the next day because it kept my mind off it (and I was in the back office that day! ;) No scaring patients! :lol: ).

That was the biggest benefit of working for a doctor. It started at work under one arm with just a little itch. A couple hours later I walked into the Doctor's office to talk to his Medical Assistant and she gasped and pointed at me as I felt them just crawl up my face. Our boss came in and said "You need to be seen." So I called my primary doctor up and said something like "I work for Dr. ___ and he said I need to be seen." And they were like "Come right on in!!" :thumbsup: That was the most friendly call I ever had with that office. ;) :p

I hope your DH is feeling better VERY soon!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He says now the palms of his hands are not itching anymore. They still look bad though. He has had problems in the past with steroids making the pressure rise in this eyes. I am calling his eye doctor first thing Monday morning to let him know what is going on in case he wants to check hubby's eye pressure before his regular appointment on Thursday this coming up week. It is frustrating when we can't figure out what caused this.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Hives are nasty things. There are so many things that can trigger them. Even stress. Or it could have been something environmental. He may have walked by something in a store or a person wearing a cologne or even a coating on something. Unfortunately, we rarely ever know what caused it but it usually doesn't recur unless it's a newly-acquired allergy.

Tell him you should at least get some honey from the hives (yes, I know it's a terrible joke but it's the best I could think of).