Hissing And Growling At Night When I Am Asleep

CalicoJubi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody.

My 5 yrs old female calico cat for the past couple weeks has been growling and hissing at me when I am sleeping. Recently I have been gone more in the day due to work but nothing else has changed. She isn’t alone at home and plays with our other cat. Still eats well and uses the litter box.

Now she will wake me up multiple times at night due to her intense growling and hissing. She will stare at me in the dark and hiss. I will try to say her name in a soothing voice but she keeps doing it. She has never done this before ever. Before she would crawl inside the blankets to sleep. Now when I lift up the blankets she will hiss and growl even more. In the mornings I do find her sleeping soundly on the bed next to my feet.

I don’t know what to do or what caused this drastic change. She stopped for a few days last week when I was home more for Thanksgiving. Thank you for any insights.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats hate it when we snore. It upsets them a lot.

Just sayin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CalicoJubi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats hate it when we snore. It upsets them a lot.

Just sayin.
Hmm that could be a possibility. I have been more tired maybe I started to snore. It is just so scary waking up half asleep to a very angry cat next to your face and happens again in another two hrs. Thanks for the reply!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If she were mine I would be inclined to shut her out of the bedroom for the rest of the night if she woke me up hissing and growling at me. If you choose to do this I would shoo her out carefully, so that she doesn’t attack out of fear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CalicoJubi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she were mine I would be inclined to shut her out of the bedroom for the rest of the night if she woke me up hissing and growling at me. If you choose to do this I would shoo her out carefully, so that she doesn’t attack out of fear.
Unfortunately I sleep in the basement so no door to close. Only a small gate by the stairway. Yea I am careful not to agitate her even more. Hoping she will stop soon...interrupted sleep isn’t fun. Hope it isn’t anything more serious. She is fine all day.