Hill's k/d cat unhappy :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
this statement made by Weruva
Here's what their rep said;
You can consider it more of a place to start, feeding amounts really comes down to trial and error, it will depend a lot on the activity level of your cat.

She's now almost 17 1/2 and doing pretty well considering everything.
How are things going?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what stage kidney failure your cat is in or whether it's low phosphorous or low protein food the cat needs (or both). We have 3 kidney cats right now (16, 17 and 17 years old) that are doing great years after diagnosis. The best thing for kidney disease is giving subQ fluids. Otherwise, it's just important that they EAT. So many kidney cats waste away bc they hate the kidney food!

We tried every brand possible and they rejected all of them. So we looked at this list of foods and found they really love Tiny Tasters by Wellness. And we supplement with whatever else they want to eat. Eating is so important for an older kidney cat. We also do subQ fluids ever night. Their kidney values have remained steady or even decreased over the past 3 years.

Now I don't know the stage of your cat. Years ago we had a 7 year old cat who suddenly came down with end stage kidney disease. He needed the phosphorous binder and honestly it was SO gross I will never force it on another cat. When he stopped eating on his own, we send him over the rainbow bridge.
I will ask the vet when I see him next week what stage of kidney failure she's in. He said she's not at the stage for subQ fluids the last time she was seen. She is eating well (regular food that is)..... I really can't complain.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I couldn't get my girl to take the pills. And I had nowhere to get the ear stuff made.
I have been crushing them and mixing them into her food. For almost a year, I was crushing and putting her meds into Greenie's pill pockets until she decided she no longer was interested in them.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A good diet for your baby with Kidney disease sure isn't Kibble. Kibble is the worst diet that you could put your baby on. Vets like to prescribe these Rx Diets because they are given to them in Vet School, etc.to help push them. If you are open to feeding RAW you can't go wrong with it and it will help alot with his Kidney Disease. If you aren't open to Raw feeding or Freeze Dried then Canned is your next best option.
She has been a kitty that eats mostly wet food and rarely will eat kibble. I figured a little kibble isn't bad being she is eating 90% wet food AND she has always liked it when I add an extra bit of water to the wet food. So I believe she is pretty well hydrated.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's what their rep said;
You can consider it more of a place to start, feeding amounts really comes down to trial and error, it will depend a lot on the activity level of your cat.

How are things going?
Things are going well with Janie still. She is on a higher dose of Felimazloe for the past 2 weeks and eating well. She is due to go back for another thyroid blood panel next Thur. Hopefully this time her T4 levels are good and won't have to go back for a while. I haven't looked into any other foods yet mentioned in the thread but will look into them. She has always been fairly finicky and I figure she's eating her regular wet food but not the Hill's k/d. I need to look into the other foods mentioned.