high protein raw diet and ckd

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our kitty has been eating semi raw duck made with EZ complete mixed with canned duck for about 3 months now. All of sudden, she’s spending more time at the water bowl. She hardly drinks any water but lately I see her drinking 3-4 times a day. Is high protein diet pushing kidney to work harder or is it something in EZ that’s contributing to this behavioral change

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Our kitty has been eating semi raw duck made with EZ complete mixed with canned duck for about 3 months now. All of sudden, she’s spending more time at the water bowl. She hardly drinks any water but lately I see her drinking 3-4 times a day. Is high protein diet pushing kidney to work harder or is it something in EZ that’s contributing to this behavioral change
That's what vets believe. At least for a cat with ckd. I suggest taking her to a vet. Many vets believe that yes,a cat needs a high protein diet but it affects their kidneys and phosphorus is too high since it's in meat

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't speak to the diet your cat is on or the EZ Complete.

High protein is a bit tougher on the kidneys, but typically only becomes a bigger issue when a cat has been identified to have already developed kidney disease. And, even then, most recent findings/studies suggest that lowering the protein level in a cat with kidney disease is counterproductive given most CKD cats are older and lose muscle mass by virtue of aging. A low protein diet can exacerbate the muscle mass loss.

I think the issue with phosphorus stands true to not being as big of an issue with healthy kidneys.

Is the canned duck by any chance loaded with sodium?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't speak to the diet your cat is on or the EZ Complete.

High protein is a bit tougher on the kidneys, but typically only becomes a bigger issue when a cat has been identified to have already developed kidney disease. And, even then, most recent findings/studies suggest that lowering the protein level in a cat with kidney disease is counterproductive given most CKD cats are older and lose muscle mass by virtue of aging. A low protein diet can exacerbate the muscle mass loss.

I think the issue with phosphorus stands true to not being as big of an issue with healthy kidneys.

Is the canned duck by any chance loaded with sodium?
I don’t think it is. I feed Rawz duck