high kill shelter in your area

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I'm gathering information, if you live in a state, city, town & know about a high kill shelter, will you please tell me where it is?

Even in my city, the county animal control doesn't euthanize unnecessarily, only aggressive animals & practically all the shelters are no kill, so I don't really know about others out there, but I do know they exist!

thanks

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are a few high kill shelters near me (Inland Empire/Southern California) but we are outside major metropolitan areas. The most well known is the Carson Shelter which is known as high kill and for poor conditions. There is actually a specific cat rescue that pulls from the high risk shelters and namely the Carson one:

http://www.carsoncats.com/

There are also several dog rescues that pull from there to take to lower risk shelters. I don't know those ones but my sister drives Pits sometimes from the Carson one up North. 

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any animal taken to the Orange County, Florida "Shelter" in Orlando is almost immediately killed.  Almost every dog in there is a pit bull.  I think of it as the most depressing place on earth.  I've toured Auschwitch in Poland several times and I swear I think Orange County is more depressing because the killing is still taking place.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did find this article from 2012 concerning kill rates at county dog shelters in Ohio  http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...l-rates-vary-widely-at-ohio-dog-shelters.html   

That year the county I live in had a 47 percent kill rate and the state wide average was 30 percent.  Urban areas, which I  live in, had a higher than average rate.  Almost half of the dogs killed were pit bulls.

I know in this county animal control doesn't pick up cats, in Ohio they are considered free roaming.  There are a number of rescues and most are no kill.  There is also an active TNR group in this area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess in every city, every state, there will be many animals put to death & I just don't see it stopping any time soon. There are too many variables involved to be able to control every aspect.

I thought maybe I could get something going, some place that doesn't have anything else around but I don't know where that would be. If it's too rural, the animals wouldn't get adopted out as fast as if you were close to a city. Sounds like in CA, LA area already has people taking from the county shelters.

That's cool for OH, they leave the cats alone. I would rather have them left on their own then stuck in a cage & then killed.

I checked the statistics for the FL shelter, the killings have actually gone down over the years. Last year was their lowest year yet. Same number killed as a shelter in CA, but FL took in a lot more so they're actually less than the Downey shelter.

I would love to have something like the Cat House on the Kings. A few acres plus a house. Land is pretty inexpensive in FL but then, you're living in FL. I'm not sure I could swing it. I was then thinking TX. That state's so big, surely they would need a no kill cat shelter somewhere. So many if's!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no reason for a shelter to ever kill an adoptable/treatable dog. If they can't get the dog adopted out themselves, they should transfer to another shelter where there is more demand. A shelter that still kills adoptable/treatable dogs is either lazy, badly managed (such as keeping bad hours, or being hostile to rescue groups, etc.), or severely underfunded. Unfortunately, severe underfunding is not unusual :(.

Cats though :sigh:. Cats are difficult. Every spring, there's a flood of kittens, most of them having some degree of URI. During that time, all resources are shifted to the kittens, so the older cats who have been at the shelter for a long time either get killed or ignored by adopters. Not all of the kittens will get adopted, because there are plenty of other kittens to adopt, some people don't want to fuss with a shelter's requirements. A lot of cats will never be good housepets, so some kind of farm cat/feral program is needed. It's an extremely complicated situation.

That state's so big, surely they would need a no kill cat shelter somewhere
Every place NEEDS no-kill cat shelters, the problem is financing.

I'm unaware of the kill rates at the Sioux Falls Humane Society, the Siouxland Humane Society (Sioux City), or Sioux City Animal Control, which are the nearest shelters. They used to publish their intake info online but now I can't find it.

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
A place where I used to live, the local SPCA shelter was the shelter used by all the cities and counties around it.  Just before I left, the SPCA switched from a kill shelter to a no-kill shelter.  Then the cities and counties started opening their own shelters.  They explained their reasoning, the SPCA's no-kill stance meant that badly injured or severely ill animals where trying to treat would just be stretching the agony a little longer couldn't be humanely put down.  Same with super-aggressive animals that were a danger to all those around them and rehabilitation was a failure.

Hearing that really made me think.  I had been a full-blown lover of no-kill shelters, but I had never thought of the implications when absolutely no animal can be put down.  We had PETA headquarters the next city over and even their workers euthanized sick animals.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They explained their reasoning, the SPCA's no-kill stance meant that badly injured or severely ill animals where trying to treat would just be stretching the agony a little longer couldn't be humanely put down
That is usually a lie advanced by kill shelters to justify their own policies. I don't believe any no-kill shelter would refuse to put down an animal that is suffering and can't be helped. They usually will kill aggressive animals who can't be trained out of it too (except for sanctuaries). "No-kill" only means that they won't kill animals that are adoptable or treatable. To refuse to put down a suffering animal would be a violation of animal cruelty laws in most states.

PETA kills almost all animals they get ahold of. They are no friends to animals and are a fine example of how shelters should NOT be run.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know many of the dogs in the Columbus shelter are not adoptable, I have no way of knowing how many of those that are euthanized fall in that category.  Like other large cities there are the neighborhoods that aren't safe and many people keep  vicious dogs as protection.  They aren't trained for protection, they are just vicious.  Most of them were abused when they were young to make them vicious.  Those dogs are very difficult, maybe impossible, to rehabilitate.  A county shelter with limited space and budget isn't going to make the attempt at rehab and most rescues won't either.  Those dogs are normally euthanized as soon as they can legally be euthanized.  There is also the dog fighting  issue, it isn't a huge problem here but it does exist.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
That is usually a lie advanced by kill shelters to justify their own policies. I don't believe any no-kill shelter would refuse to put down an animal that is suffering and can't be helped. They usually will kill aggressive animals who can't be trained out of it too (except for sanctuaries). "No-kill" only means that they won't kill animals that are adoptable or treatable. To refuse to put down a suffering animal would be a violation of animal cruelty laws in most states.

PETA kills almost all animals they get ahold of. They are no friends to animals and are a fine example of how shelters should NOT be run.
The SPCA shelter spokesperson did say that when they switched, it literally was no kill.  They agreed with the cities' and counties' reason for dropping the contracts and starting their own shelters.