Hidden pain ?

CambridgeGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My cat displays signs of hidden pain, especially under her left armpit. I've taken her several times to assorted vets, she's had expensive blood tests and they all say there's nothing there. But it's definitely pain, not simply grumpiness, because the intensity varies from day to day - occasionally she's fine! - and she'll transition from happy purrs, to unhappy snap /kick/ growl in a millisecond during her getting brushed. I'm concerned. Any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CambridgeGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(forgot to mention that she also grinds her teeth)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Has she had an x-ray? it could be arthritis or pain from an old injury to that joint. You might research on the internet and find her a supplement to help with arthritis or CBD oil. This could also be simply her 'trigger' point from overstimulation syndrome. Many cats, especially females, have a point where they become overstimulated and attack or get really mad instantly after that point is reached while being stroked or brushed. My Chrissy had that and would attack after exactly three strokes on her back. If tests/x-rays shows no sign of injury or arthritis it most likely is that. It does sound like pain though, I would try the arthritis remedies.
Cats grind their teeth because something is wrong with their teeth. if she was checked and they said her teeth are fine, and it happens while she is eating, it may be just something she does. My Burt did that while eating and it sounded terrible. It may be a genetic problem and their jaws are not aligned properly. He also had a terrible facial injury when he was a kitten. After being checked several times for tooth problems and finding nothing we just accepted it and he did fine for 16 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CambridgeGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
How old is she? Has she had an x-ray? it could be arthritis or pain from an old injury to that joint. You might research on the internet and find her a supplement to help with arthritis or CBD oil. This could also be simply her 'trigger' point from overstimulation syndrome. Many cats, especially females, have a point where they become overstimulated and attack or get really mad instantly after that point is reached while being stroked or brushed. My Chrissy had that and would attack after exactly three strokes on her back. If tests/x-rays shows no sign of injury or arthritis it most likely is that. It does sound like pain though, I would try the arthritis remedies.
Cats grind their teeth because something is wrong with their teeth. if she was checked and they said her teeth are fine, and it happens while she is eating, it may be just something she does. My Burt did that while eating and it sounded terrible. It may be a genetic problem and their jaws are not aligned properly. He also had a terrible facial injury when he was a kitten. After being checked several times for tooth problems and finding nothing we just accepted it and he did fine for 16 years.
Hi Di and Bob.

I **think** they're about 7 - she and her brother adopted me (yes, that way around) last year. Tests showed nothing but I know she's in discomfort, just by the way it varies and the way she's protective of that area like a guy clamping hands over an area when there's a low-level ball flying towards him....
Nowadays I notice her teeth grinding most when I'm feeding them, but I've been coaxing them to crunch the kibble and that has definitely reduced the teeth grinding.

Do you have any particular cbd / arthritis remedies you can recommend?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just read that CBD oil helps with arthritis pain. When I was researching supplements for my own cat's leukemia, I noticed they (Amazon and Walmart) had many supplements for arthritis and joint pain. I always look at the reviews to get an idea of how they work.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When you say the tests showed nothing - what tests? X-rays won't typically show any issues with muscle tissue - that would be more likely to be identified with a CT scan. If nothing has been done to check the muscle tissue in the area that bothers her, you might ask the vet about that. It could expand/change the potential relief medication options for her if the vet thinks a CT might show any irregularities.

This pain could be due to an injury to a muscle/ligament that happened at some point in time - perhaps, before she adopted you - something that never quite healed right. If that were to be the case, certain movements, even some slight pressure (from being touched or brushed in that area) could cause discomfort.