Hi

OnceUponACat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I hope it's ok to post if you don't currently have a cat. I lost my furry companion 2 years ago (2016), after 18.5 years. I'm currently waiting to see if I get approved to adopt two cats from a rescue.

Filling out their application brought up my Furrbutt's death all over again. At the time I was just in shock. I'd had her for half my life. I literally didn't know what life was like as an adult without her.

Now with time to review, I'm grieving all over again, and wondering how I didn't find this site 2 years ago.

I figure, this time around, cat community support would be necessary and welcomed. Because looking around I've already seen advice, suggestions and just general 'this is how I do things maybe it'll work for you' that would have helped me not just when I got the news from the vet, but even earlier. Ex: How to get a cat to eat wet food, how to handle a cat that's stopped eating/doesn't seem to like their food. Or; sometimes trusted brands get bought out/ or formulas change. (this last I discovered this year as I went to look things up for the two new possibilities).

I'm agog at the talk of Fancy Feast and Friskies (not in a bad way, just that they are a possibility). T was my first cat on my own, that is not a family cat. I grew up with her. And I still didn't realize how much I didn't know. I'd stuck with one brand of cat food (Precise, dry) for those 18 years, only switching up some in house formulas. And before that, it'd been actually free Flint River Ranch from the pet store owner, when I bought catmilk (T was a tiny kitten found half drowned near a friend's first floor apt).

So, hi.

I'm glad this place exists.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
DF190A26-CF5D-485C-8FC4-76537DFE4B50.jpeg
OnceUponACat, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
E75A7F07-04EA-42B4-A7B7-1D5915A40D17.gif
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

We are so sorry to hear about Furrbutt. Hope you’ll be able to adopt the kitties.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Sorry the pain of losing Furrbutt has resurfaced. :alright: If you think it would help, please rest assured it's not too late to write a memorial for him in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Good luck with the adoption of your 2 new furry felines. Please post again when you bring them home. :catlove:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, you are SO welcome here! This place is for anyone who loves cats, whether they currently share their lives with one or not. I am so sorry that you lost your Furrbutt, but what a wonderful, long life you had together! So, yes, you are in the right place, and all that we ask is for photos when your new furbabies come home! Photos...lots of photos...there can never be too many photos of cats!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site :hithere:

No need to own cats here. Just love for cats is all that's needed :clap:
So sorry about Furrbutt :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OnceUponACat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to everyone who replied (Rubysmama, MaMany GemGem). Furrbutt and FurryBreeches were nicknames for my girl. Typing her name still makes me cry a little.

Like I said; I grew up with her/she grew up with me/ we grew up together. And it still feels off to think of her as really gone. It's 2 years and I'm still minding my feet when I walk, y'know, to avoid tail stepping. Still expecting when my fingers dangle off the couch to get brush by. Not consciously, but aware it didn't happen.

A thousand and one ways you miss them, I guess. And thinking about new cats has it all on my mind again.

Included pic of my gone one.

Attachments

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome, OnceUponaCat, and I'm so sorry you're missing your first kitty.

I recently lost my best fuzzy friend of 15+ years and it was very difficult. Her name was Gwen, but we called her FuzzleButt, so your post made me smile.

Adopting a new cat has helped us a lot. Not that we don't still miss Gwen ALL THE TIME but Juniper keeps us occupied and laughing in her own sweet little way, and makes the apartment feel less empty. I hope that, when you're approved to adopt your new kitties, that they will do the same.

I have had the same experience you describe, of finding so much useful information here that I never had the benefit of when raising Gwen and dealing with her illness. So glad to have found this community!