Hi There I'm A Newbie

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey I found this site today hoping to get some well needed advice and questions answered. It's a real blessing finding this place so happy to be able to join here ^-^. Well here's a little about me I lived with cats all my life I've never been very long without having a cat I've always had a cat for a pet except when I was toddler then it was a bunny lol. Anyways the longest I've been without adopting a furball is one year. That year was last and part of this year. I adopted a stray adorable ginger ( I think and pretty sure it's a boy) kitten. Me and my husband found him meowing and begging for food from inside the cities Opera house garden. We fed him and he sat in my lap afterwards and started to purr I fell in love after that and begged the hubby for us to keep him. He suprised me though cause most strays are ferral in this city and are scared of humans and aren't cuddly like him even when the people raise them for catching rats. So when he sat in my lap I knew he was special. We named him Opi cause we found him in the Opera place and since he's a boy we decided Opera was to girly lol so I said how about Opi. He has ginger colored fur same color of hair as Opi in Andy Grifith show to lol :p. I've never had a ginger cat before so I'm excited. He is the most well behaved cat I have ever had. He is super cuddly a real cuddle bug and smart to. I have a lot more to say but you'd be here all day reading this lol. I have one big question which I hope is okay to ask here I know a whole lot about cats but some things I have no clue about which is how to raise a male cat in the house without it smelling like cat pee from them marking. Is it possible? Me and the hubby want to get Opi a wife when he grows up and let them have kittens before we fix him so I was wondering how can we do that when we want him to be an inside cat?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome Cat 2.gif

Welcome to TCS! :wave3: We're very glad you joined and look forward to hearing more about Opi. And post photos if you have any- we love cat pictures around here. There can never be too many! I love ginger tabbies myself, having had a complete love bug for many years.

I love the way you rescued him and named him. The fact that Opi let you pick him up right away is a sign that he's only semi-feral, and maybe not even that. Bless you for taking him off the streets and giving him a home.

Our site is a pro-neuter/spay site so you will probably get some opposition to your desire to let Opi breed once before having him neutered. This comes from a deep concern for the millions of kittens that are already here and without homes. I don't want to spoil your welcome by getting up on a soap box about this issue because we really are delighted that you and Opi joined and want you to feel welcome and safe to ask any questions you have. I'll just post these articles and hope you find them informative and helpful:

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

To answer your question about keeping an intact male inside without him spraying - that is very hard to do. Toms are driven by their hormones to mate so whenever Opi's sensitive nose smells an intact female nearby, you run the risk of him spraying. He may also spray if he senses other male cats and feels his territory is being challenged. The only way that I know of to prevent spraying is to have him neutered but others may have more ideas.

Again, welcome! And don't forget those photos. ;)

sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-100.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I understand about the fixing and I know it's for keeping all kitties safe and all my past cats have been fixed and I rescued them all. I only adopted one cat from a lady who was giving them away in her house. My hubby is a big sweetie he says he wants Opi to have a family before he gets fixed lol <3 it's adorable. I might consider having him have a kitten with a girl but it's hard to considering Opi is a male and I can't gurantee the female would just have one kitten. It's just something I want to look into and want to consider doing for my husbands sake. This is my husband's first cat all he ever had for pet was a turtle when he was a kid lol. He loves Opi already and considers him our furry son so I thought I would ask about how we could breed Opi once before fixing just to see. I hope you guys are anti declawing to I don't support declawing a cat there are so many more options out there.
P.S. I'll try convincing the hubby to adopt another kitten to be Opi's son or daughter instead of breeding cause it is indeed the overall better option so just cross your fingers.
this is Opi he has icy green eyes there so pretty

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is so cute. I hope you can convince your hubby to get him neutered and adopt another kitten.

Yes this site is anti-declaw.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Opi is totally adorable. :catrub: Course I'm a bit biased towards orange tabbies, as per my girl, Ruby. :winkcat:

I hope your husband will consider adopting another kitten, instead of breeding Opi. If you get another kitten now, they'd almost certainly get along and be life-long buddies. And if you get a male cat neutered young, there's much less change of him spraying.

As for having a family, generally male cats don't bond with their off-spring. That's the Mom's job, and then usually only till they're weaned. And, no guarantee the mom cat would only have 1 kitten. She could actually have as many as 8 kittens! If you venture over to the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum you will find lots of people asking for help with various kitten related issues.

Anyway, so sorry for getting preachy on your intro message. Welcome again! :wave3: Hope you stick around. :)

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! We're glad you've joined us. We're more like a gigantic family than just a bunch of cat people.

I would suggest getting Opi (what a cutie!) neutered, too. Neutered cats live longer and are less prone to many ailments. They're less aggressive, too, and more loving. They are much less inclined to roam and fight. One male can impregnate a huge number of females in a very short time. A single kitten litter is very infrequent. Usually there are about five or more. As suggested, you'll probably have more success if you get Opi a little brother right now so they can grow up together with a strong bond. This way you can choose a kitten you think would be a good match personality-wise for Opi.

We hope to hear a lot more from you and Opi!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Opi-the-furry-conductor, a warm welcome to you.

Yes, Opi is very cute! :lovecat::lovecat4: Do post more photos of please.

Here’s an article for you to read Why Cats Should Not Be Declawed

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Opi is totally adorable. :catrub: Course I'm a bit biased towards orange tabbies, as per my girl, Ruby. :winkcat:

I hope your husband will consider adopting another kitten, instead of breeding Opi. If you get another kitten now, they'd almost certainly get along and be life-long buddies. And if you get a male cat neutered young, there's much less change of him spraying.

As for having a family, generally male cats don't bond with their off-spring. That's the Mom's job, and then usually only till they're weaned. And, no guarantee the mom cat would only have 1 kitten. She could actually have as many as 8 kittens! If you venture over to the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum you will find lots of people asking for help with various kitten related issues.

Anyway, so sorry for getting preachy on your intro message. Welcome again! :wave3: Hope you stick around. :)
This is true which is why I'm more on board with adopting another kitten cause who knows how many she would have. I wish I could get another kitten now so opi could have a friend now but thats pretty much impossible right now. This is my husbands first cat so he's getting use to having one he loves Opi but asking for 2 that I know would overwhelm the poor guy lol. Plus even if he did say yes at the moment it's hard just taking care of Opi. Here it's hard to find a massive amount of cat supplies and finding a good vet. So we have to search for a good vet and the only thing we can find for cats right now is cat litter and cat food so I have to make Opi's toys,bed,cat treats and all that stuff myself. I got Opi when we did because I've seen the street cats here they don't look pretty poor things and my heart went out to Opi he was so clean for a feral cat and barely should signs of being unhealthy. He was dirty yeah but not to dirty and his fur was just a little rough but he shows no signs of disease or something dangerous so I wanted to rescue him. It's a miracle I found Opi in such great condition feral cat wise. So until we find a good vet and are prepared and ready for another cat me and the hubby will just have Opi for now.
P.S. He is so much healthier now since we first got him he was only skin and bones back then. Now you can see meat on him and his fur is so soft and he looks so helathy. His nose was a dry for awhile and he even lost some fur there I'm guessing he might of had fur mites I think there called. I treated him for fleas and these mites all naturally. He is now mite free and his nose is all nice and wet and his fur nose is recovering. I'll be taking him to the vet soon as soon as me and the hubby go to a promising looking vet and see if it's good for opi. I want him to be dewormed, get his shots, have his nose looked at, and also Opi has whats called an umbilical cord hernia which I researched is common in young kittens and can be dangerous but it usually goes away after they've grown up a bit. I'm still wanting the vet to take a look and see if Opi will be okay because it can be life threatening so I'm not taking any chances.

Last edited:

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Opi-the-furry-conductor, a warm welcome to you.

Yes, Opi is very cute! :lovecat::lovecat4: Do post more photos of please.

Here’s an article for you to read Why Cats Should Not Be Declawed

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:
Thanks for showing me but I know why cats should never be declawed and I'm extremely against it. I'll post more photo's when I can me and the hubby have a busy schedule but I'll make some time to post some more for you guys ^-^

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome! We're glad you've joined us. We're more like a gigantic family than just a bunch of cat people.

I would suggest getting Opi (what a cutie!) neutered, too. Neutered cats live longer and are less prone to many ailments. They're less aggressive, too, and more loving. They are much less inclined to roam and fight. One male can impregnate a huge number of females in a very short time. A single kitten litter is very infrequent. Usually there are about five or more. As suggested, you'll probably have more success if you get Opi a little brother right now so they can grow up together with a strong bond. This way you can choose a kitten you think would be a good match personality-wise for Opi.

We hope to hear a lot more from you and Opi!
I'm hoping to get a female kitten soon God willing in maybe 2 or 4 months it all depends on me and the hubbies schedule and if we find everything we need to keep 2 cats. Like I've said I've fixed all of my cats in the past so I know all the benefits it was only a consideration for my hubbies sake. I'll do my best to convince him it's a bad idea thank you all for such great advice ^-^

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a soft spot for orange cats in general, but this little one... makes my heart melt :redheartpump:. He is adorable and his name suits him well.
Thank you :) I've never had a ginger cat until now but they've always looked so pretty to me. Ever since I saw the movie a cat named Bob and learned about the real cat Bob I fell in love ginger cats and wondered what it was like to own one well now I get to find out. He's super cute,cuddly and very well behaved he only gets a bit naughty when he's hungry lol. It's getting cold where I am so he loves to crawl under the covers and cuddle with me and the hubby it's adorable :redheartpump:. In the morning he likes to cuddle inside my hoodie where it's nice and cosy. He is very vocal to he makes sure to tell me and the hubby what he wants.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and that little cutie! We're so glad you are here, BOTH of you.

I'll only say one short thing about neutering, as I don't want you to feel as if you are being beaten over the head. There are several cancers that seem to be hormone-driven, and early spay or neuter will protect against those. He really will be a happier, healthier kitten and cat.