Hi, I'm new on the block

shaheena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have two cats on my own that I adopted from rescues two years ago. During the adoption procedure I learned that some city shelters do euthanize cats (which is not allowed in the country from where I come from.) I was totally shocked and became a foster. Recently I did a TNR workshop and started to get involved in that too. Currently I have two foster kittens in addition to my two cats. Fortunately my cats are super social and love the company of cat-guests. 

One of my current fosters is a semi-feral that we rescued off the euth list when she was 4 months. I know it's already a little late to socialize her thoroughly. She is a passive feral who would rather retreat than show any aggression. We work each day and she already sits on my lap during feeding. Since we could built this trustful relation to each other  I have started to force interaction a bit, and after a couple of days (!) she allowed me to pet her head and neck. She is very talented and seems happy to learn that there's no reason of being afraid of allowing this. She is the sweetest cat's-cat I've ever met.

The other foster kitten came from a TNR project, malnourished and with a multitude of parasites. She has overcome ear mites and we are still battling with her ringworm. Her intestines are totally off balance too. I don't know exactly what her rescuer did, but I think the kitten got antibiotics on and off much too long. The rescuer had a open housing situation and maybe hold down infestation by administering meds all the time instead of curing them separated. She had Giardia and was on Metronidazole when she arrived. 

I would be very happy about tips about how to restore a weak immune system and her intestinal balance. She already gets probiotics and nutri-cal. It's also not easy to entertain her since she is in quarantine. She does not know exactly what "play" means and shows no interest in toys. Moreover, she is also a social eater and a dry food junky. We switched to grain free wet food, but she ate so few that she started to loose weight. So, I postponed to switch her food preferences until she is a bit more stable and healthier. For the time being she gets grain-free dry food (Taste of the Wild) . Everything else she would not eat (only corner store dry food which she surely won't get anymore)

Thanks you!

Shaheena

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for having helped so much.

You would probably get a faster response if you post questions regarding her diet in the nutrition section. We also have a feral and rescue section you would probably find helpful, or perhaps your experiences could help others. You've come to a great site. Many, many, experienced and helpful people here. Again ...welcome!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!  I also think you would get some excellent advice in the nutrition section.  And it sounds like you are making great strides in building rapport with your rescue.  Bravo! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shaheena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry for not replying that long or moving this post into the right section. It turned out she had FIP and passed only two weeks later. It was one of the most horrible experiences we ever had. We took a break from fostering kittens for a couple of months. 

Two days ago our most recent foster kitten moved into her forever home. It was a healing experience to see her recovering and turning into the healthy happy kitten that she is now, and to see her move on to her new parents.