Hey There!

TsundereNeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! :) I'm a first-time cat mom to a lovely girl named Aria, aka "Aria Black, Obsidian Destroyer of Winterfell", aka "Tsundere-Chan". She will be 2 years old on June 22nd. I adopted her from my local SPCA less than a week ago.

I will tell you all about her in a bit, but first, here's a bit about Aria's human (aka, me :)). After a lifetime of owning dogs with my parents and loving them deeply, I knew that I wanted to get a cat once I was able to live on my own. It took 3 years to get to that point, but I'm so glad I did. I'm a college student (astronomy major, whoop whoop!) so having a cat works perfectly for me, because dogs -- as much as I love them -- tend to be much more high-maintenance and are darn hard to litter-train! Since I've never had a cat own me before, I decided that joining this community would be best for us so that I can learn how to make our life together the best I possibly can.

Now about Aria: she was a shy cat at SPCA that would only respond to my boyfriend and I in growls and purrs, but loved the attention that I would lavish on her and would frequently rub herself against us. I have a soft spot for black cats, and an even softer spot for weird animals, and she hit both spots; so of course she came home with me. :) Right now, she's the sweetest, cuddliest cat I could ask for. She's extremely hesitant to defensively nip or scratch during moments of stress (long story -- involves a kennel), incredibly patient with my demands for chin rubs, and only meows when she's scared, stuck, or just finished using the litterbox. Otherwise, she's a happy little girl who frequently purrs and trills.

She's had her inaugural vet appointment already and unfortunately she's sick right now with a "mild URI" and a tapeworm infection, which is another reason why I joined this community...but that's a story for another time. :) Right now, she's getting better and I'm monitoring her closely each day after I return home from work.

Anyways, this introduction turned out incredibly long, so farewell and I look forward to meeting you all! :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm sure everyone would love to see pictures of Aria! I hope that she has a speedy recovery from her illness. There are a lot of knowledgeable cat owners here on TCS, so I'm sure that if you ever have any questions about your Aria's health, or anything really, someone will be able to help you. I hope to see you around the forums!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome!!! You have come to the right place, the people here are so helpful and so fun. I hope Aria is well soon. Can't wait to see a picture of her. I am a HUGE fan of black cats. My first cats were a tuxedo and a black cat. They are special. BTW, very impressed with your major.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TsundereNeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you abyeb and maureen brad! I'm enjoying looking around and getting to know the community. Everyone is so friendly here! Aria is the cat in my avatar, but it is pretty small so I've attached a picture of her sleeping (as she frequently does), and one of her at the shelter.

100_0242-resized.JPG

20170519_124428-resized.jpg

Hopefully the pictures are okay. Also, don't be too impressed with my major -- I never said I was good at it. :lol: But I truly do love the subject and I hope to go into research one day.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, TsundereNeko. Welcome to TCS. Cool name for her, after GoT's Arya Stark. A neighbor's cat comes by twice a day to eat with my TNR female. I nicknamed her "Wildling" and the TNR "Snow" (short for Wren The Snowbird). Congrats on becoming a 1st-time kitty Mom. Thank you for adopting. Wishing Aria a speedy get well. Great intro! Please to meet you and Aria.

PS: A thread that might interest you. :flail: Why do people not like black cats?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a college student (astronomy major, whoop whoop!) so having a cat works perfectly for me, because dogs -- as much as I love them -- tend to be much more high-maintenance and are darn hard to litter-train!:)
An astronomer who thinks that having a cat is better than having a dog? You can't be Sirius.

Sorry - just impossible to resist. Welcome to TCS, to both of you.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is simply gorgeous. There is something catchy about her coat. From the pics, her coat looks to be a soft & silky smooth satin sheen. Oh, she would hate me...as I'd have to give her squeezable hugs often.

PS: Another thread that might interest you. :crackup: Show me your eyes

TsundereNeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi katknapper!! Thank you for the links! Yeah the low adoption rate and overall poor perception (as well as the beautiful silky coat) are the reasons why I have such a soft spot for black cats. I have a similar soft spot for pit bulls. The poor babies are all just misunderstood, and people are dumb and treat them horribly due to those misconceptions. A black cat can be just as sweet, loving, and -- dare I say it -- lucky as any other cat. <3 And trust...she hates me too for the exact same reason. :lol: She's just kind enough not to hold it against me for too long!

An astronomer who thinks that having a cat is better than having a dog? You can't be Sirius.
I genuinely enjoyed that, you have no idea how much I love puns. :crackup:I'll have to remember that one for later!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello TsundereNeko and Aria, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for adopting Aria and also congrats on becoming a first time cat mom :banana2:

This site is wonderful and you can find many interesting and informative reads here. Feel free to ask questions.

Aria is lovely! :lovecat::lovecat4: Do post more of her photos for us to see. Here's a special thread just for black cats :-

Black Cats Only

TsundereNeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you tabbymom! I will take a look at the thread. I just love looking at everyone's cats! Perhaps I'll share a few of my own, too. :)