Herpes and black eye discharge

trishzat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope someone can help me. We brought in a stray cat from outside our house that had been out there over a year. He has an eye discharge that is black and has been constant since we brought him in, for about 6 months. We have had him at two different vets, the one that tested him said it was the herpes virus, gave him some medication that cleared it up for about a week and then it all came back, now it's in both eyes. I have been reading about this problem, and it says that they will have outbreaks occasionally, but I didn't think they have them constantly. If anybody has had experience with this, please let me know. I just don't know what to do at this point. We have been giving him l lycine for cats for a while, but that doesn't seem to help. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am a bit stumped by the coloration of the discharge - black is not typical from what I know. Perhaps, the vet should take a swab of the discharge, and have it tested?

What kind of medications were given to him? It is possible they were not given long enough or were not the appropriate ones. Anti-viral meds are commonly given, sometimes accompanied by antibiotics if a secondary infection is suspected.

Although lysine is one of the support supplements that have been given, another one I have heard about, especially on this site, is DMG. This particular one is what has been referenced - VETRISCIENCE Vetri-DMG Liquid Immune Supplement for Dogs, Cats & Birds, 28-mL - Chewy.com

I hope other members come along soon with more to offer than I have.

MikeJ523

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has your vet mentioned anything about the tear ducts being occluded (blocked). My cat had reoccurring eye discharge and when I found her she had a bad eye infection. Our vet had mentioned that when they have a long term infection or discharge the tear ducts that drain the tears essentially become blocked and damaged and essentially their eyes always tear and they typically leave a black residue. There is a test for it, but the cat would have to go under. If there is not an active infection I would bet that's what is going on and probably most likely caused by Feline Herpes. Our cats discharge is now under control after the 3rd round of antibiotic eye ointment.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The discharge is clear, but turns black when it dries. You can use a warm washcloth to wipe it off or brew a cup of chamomile tea, let it steep and cool, then use a cotton cloth with some of that on it to wipe the eye off.

Are you running any calming diffusers, such as Feliway or Comfort Zone. Herpes flares are often caused by stress. Diffusers help decrease stress. Also, have you tried a daily antihistamine? We gave our herpes girl a daily antihistamine and it helped decrease the runny eyes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishzat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a bit stumped by the coloration of the discharge - black is not typical from what I know. Perhaps, the vet should take a swab of the discharge, and have it tested?

What kind of medications were given to him? It is possible they were not given long enough or were not the appropriate ones. Anti-viral meds are commonly given, sometimes accompanied by antibiotics if a secondary infection is suspected.

Although lysine is one of the support supplements that have been given, another one I have heard about, especially on this site, is DMG. This particular one is what has been referenced - VETRISCIENCE Vetri-DMG Liquid Immune Supplement for Dogs, Cats & Birds, 28-mL - Chewy.com

Thank you for responding! The vet gave him a couple of meds, one was an antibiotic. I'm confused about the color of the discharge as well. I'm thinking we need more testing.

trishzat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has your vet mentioned anything about the tear ducts being occluded (blocked). My cat had reoccurring eye discharge and when I found her she had a bad eye infection. Our vet had mentioned that when they have a long term infection or discharge the tear ducts that drain the tears essentially become blocked and damaged and essentially their eyes always tear and they typically leave a black residue. There is a test for it, but the cat would have to go under. If there is not an active infection I would bet that's what is going on and probably most likely caused by Feline Herpes. Our cats discharge is now under control after the 3rd round of antibiotic eye ointment.
I bet you are right, since the discharge is black. We did one round of the eye ointment. I bet we need to do more. Thank you
I bet you are right, since the discharge is a black color. We did one round of the eye ointment, I bet we need to do more. Thank you so much!

trishzat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The discharge is clear, but turns black when it dries. You can use a warm washcloth to wipe it off or brew a cup of chamomile tea, let it steep and cool, then use a cotton cloth with some of that on it to wipe the eye off.

Are you running any calming diffusers, such as Feliway or Comfort Zone. Herpes flares are often caused by stress. Diffusers help decrease stress. Also, have you tried a daily antihistamine? We gave our herpes girl a daily antihistamine and it helped decrease the runny eyes.
Thank you! I will definitely check out a diffuser! We did some Benadryl a day or two and it helped, I just wasn't sure how long we could use that for.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The discharge is normal with many bacterial infections, which teh virus can turn into and often does. That is why the antibiotic cream helps, it wouldn't with just a virus. It starts out clear, then turns black when the bacteria in it is exposed to the air. I have had many cats with it, even the saliva from the mouth can turn black with its bacteria. I had a vet explain that to me.
My cats have leukemia and can't get any kind of virus without getting VERY sick or dying. i started them all on DMG 4 years ago and other than a few minor instances, they have been healthy. They used to come down with the herpes virus a couple of times a year before I started the supplement, they haven't had it at all since I did. Of course, they are strictly inside too now, to stop being exposed to viruses. I had tried L-lysine too, and it did nothing. I would start the DMG, then use the antibiotic salve/cream and that should help tremendously. A bottle lasts a long time too. Good luck!

trishzat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The discharge is normal with many bacterial infections, which teh virus can turn into and often does. That is why the antibiotic cream helps, it wouldn't with just a virus. It starts out clear, then turns black when the bacteria in it is exposed to the air. I have had many cats with it, even the saliva from the mouth can turn black with its bacteria. I had a vet explain that to me.
My cats have leukemia and can't get any kind of virus without getting VERY sick or dying. i started them all on DMG 4 years ago and other than a few minor instances, they have been healthy. They used to come down with the herpes virus a couple of times a year before I started the supplement, they haven't had it at all since I did. Of course, they are strictly inside too now, to stop being exposed to viruses. I had tried L-lysine too, and it did nothing. I would start the DMG, then use the antibiotic salve/cream and that should help tremendously. A bottle lasts a long time too. Good luck!
Thank you so much! That is very helpful!

trishzat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Ordered a diffuser last night. We do have a great Dane in the house, so I'm sure that's stressful for the kitty! Hope it helps! Thank you so much!

trishzat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It looks like the DMG and the eye drops may be the way to go.. Thank you so much!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Benedryl isn't the best option for kitties. You can try Loratadine (Claritin, no "D" added), 1/4-1/2 tablet once a day. You can grind it with a spoon and mix into wet food.

trishzat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Benedryl isn't the best option for kitties. You can try Loratadine (Claritin, no "D" added), 1/4-1/2 tablet once a day. You can grind it with a spoon and mix into wet food.
Oh, okay, thank you for that info!

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Rudi kitty has blocked tear ducts. The tears run down the side of his nose and turn brown, so I just wipe it away daily. Herpes: I am currently treating my kitty Fiona for a bad herpes eye infection. Here's what she's being treated with: Famcyclovir anti viral oral meds 3 times daily, Oflaxacin antibiotic drops 3 times/day, and Cidofovir antiviral eye drops 3 times/day. The meds are given for 3 - 4 weeks. She is SLOWLY getting better. It's very important for a herpes eye infection to get cleared, or your kitty could end up with a herpes ulcer on his eye and potentially lose his vision/eye. My other herpes kitty Gemma, did not completely get over the eye infection until I started her on the cidofovir drops. It's expensive and I have to order it online from Wedgewood Pet Rx, but my vet thinks it's the best treatment.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give two of my cats Zertec for allergies, just make sure anything you get DOES NOT have decongestion meds in it. !/2 pill put in half of a Pill Pocket for cats, they gobble it right down. it helps with congestion. The DMG worked the best.

trishzat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Rudi kitty has blocked tear ducts. The tears run down the side of his nose and turn brown, so I just wipe it away daily. Herpes: I am currently treating my kitty Fiona for a bad herpes eye infection. Here's what she's being treated with: Famcyclovir anti viral oral meds 3 times daily, Oflaxacin antibiotic drops 3 times/day, and Cidofovir antiviral eye drops 3 times/day. The meds are given for 3 - 4 weeks. She is SLOWLY getting better. It's very important for a herpes eye infection to get cleared, or your kitty could end up with a herpes ulcer on his eye and potentially lose his vision/eye. My other herpes kitty Gemma, did not completely get over the eye infection until I started her on the cidofovir drops. It's expensive and I have to order it online from Wedgewood Pet Rx, but my vet thinks it's the best treatment.
Thank you so much for the information!