hernia or normal swelling?

jchsasajs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 kittens, sisters, spayed on May 28. Neither of them had any post op issues. it’s is now 3 weeks since the surgery and I noticed a few days ago that one of the kittens has a rather large lump near the incision site. They were spayed at a humane society spay/neuter clinic because it was included in their adoption fee from the SPCA. I contacted the SPCA and they think it is normal post spay swelling and advised to put moist heat 2-3 times a day which i have done for the last 2 days but haven’t seen improvement. I plan on contacting my vet on Monday but just for peace of mind does this look normal? Wondering if it could be a hernia? She doesn’t seem painful and it is not warm to the touch, she is eating and drinking and using her litter box.

Attachments

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine has a lump which was a reaction to the sutures. You should be able to bring her cam ack to the vet for a post op incision check just to be sure

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like a seroma to me, which is a lump that goes away with time. My husband gets those every time he has back surgery (6 times) and his extend out about an inch when they develop :eek2:. They are fairly common. As long as they aren't causing her any issues, it's probably nothing to worry about.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens, sisters, spayed on May 28. Neither of them had any post op issues. it’s is now 3 weeks since the surgery and I noticed a few days ago that one of the kittens has a rather large lump near the incision site. They were spayed at a humane society spay/neuter clinic because it was included in their adoption fee from the SPCA. I contacted the SPCA and they think it is normal post spay swelling and advised to put moist heat 2-3 times a day which i have done for the last 2 days but haven’t seen improvement. I plan on contacting my vet on Monday but just for peace of mind does this look normal? Wondering if it could be a hernia? She doesn’t seem painful and it is not warm to the touch, she is eating and drinking and using her litter box.
Hi jchsasajs jchsasajs ...I do agree with the above members, that it may just be a reaction to sutures, or else a seroma...

I also think that you contacting your Vet, on Monday, is an excellent thing to do. :thumbsup:

Even if you can send them the photos, through Email or text,...for them to advise you, would be good.

The location of the swelling worries me a bit, and the way that it looks a bit more lumpy, than other seromas that seem to be more right underneath the incision site.
More than likely, because your kitten is doing well, it really isn't anything to worry about...but I guess I am a bit more cautious,...and just think that it's better to get a Vet to feel the swelling, and do a physical check.
At least this way, they will have a report, about how it looks, and may even contact the Vets who did the neuter at the SPCA, too.

Please update us, on Monday, on what your Vet tells you. :bluepaw:
All Good Luck and Fast Recovery Vibes sent for both your kittens. :vibes::vibes::caticon::caticon: :goodluck:

How are your kittens with their playing?
Back to normal, and very energetic?
Would love to see some photos of both your kittens, whenever you have the time.
Here, at the Cat Site, we just love photos. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jchsasajs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for all the advice, I will contact vet on Monday. Other than this issue they are all healed up and play great together!

Attachments