Hematoma in cats ear

Jason13581

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that has a Hematoma in her ear, I took her to the vet, and they drained the blood out of the ear twice. I have always noticed for a good while she is always shaking and pawing at the ear, they done a deep ear clean and said she had an infection and gave her a steroid shot in the tip of the ear to try to help it from filling back with blood and also sent her home with some drop called Posatex Otic 15 grams, I am to apply 3 drops in both ears once daily I was wanting to know how are ear hematomas fixed is it surgery and will this be a for sure fix or is there a chance it will not fix. I had the ear drained Monday and it was drained again Wednesday. Thank You for your response.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have never seen draining the ear be successful for ear hematomas, unless very small. What happens, is once the ear is drained, there is an empty space just waiting to be filled up with blood the next time the cat shakes their ears and ruptures another blood vessel.
Surgery is usually successful, although if not done properly it can leave a scarred thickened ear flap.
You have to determine the cause of the ear shaking. We’re diagnostics done to figure out what kind of infection, bacteria is in the ear?

Feline Ear Issues