Helping My Parents Make Friends With A Skittish Cat

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a followup on my post about my skittish cat. Now that he's somewhat comfortable with me (at least hanging out in my room evenings), I'm wondering if you might have advice about getting him more comfortable with my parents, and being in the other rooms in the house.

My mom doesn't care so much, but I think my Dad does. For example, he bought the cat an toy today which was a bit of a bust (electric, and the noise scared the cat).

I'm also a little confused about what might have gone wrong, because he acted along more friendly with my Dad when we first got him (even jumping up in his lap). My Dad did help me medicate him (prazosin) when he had his blockage which probably didn't help. He also tried calming him down once by scruffing him and holding him tight, which probably didn't help either.

I should say that our other cat Trixie loves my Dad. In fact, with the dr's approval, she was sort of his unofficial nurse when he went through chemo (in remission now).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Getting your dad and mom to play with him helps a lot but maybe you can get them to feed the cat as well and associate them with food. Also get them to call your cat and have a say a short sentence like ‘ Hello Cat (use his name) each time they see each other and approach him slowly each time.

It may take awhile for your cat to get use to the routine and familiarize himself with them. No loud noise that may scare him or the toy that your dad bought. That may get her startled. Use a feather wand instead or treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I will see if I can't get my Dad to play with him or do something to create a positive association :)

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't give up on that toy just yet either. Homer was suspicious of his first battery operated toy, he watched it from under a chair for two days, and terrified of the remote control monster truck I bought him. Now he turns his battery operated toys on himself, and chases the Monster Truck. It just takes time and patience for them to get used to them and realize they aren't evil cat killers. (Homer used to think the garbage men were evil cat killers, now he runs to the window to watch them, I think all cats prefer to err on the side of caution with new and noisy things)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't forget to check in once in a while and let us know how things are going.