Helping my cat lose weight without her feeling hungry.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that possible? Is there anything i can add that would be filling to her home made food. Both my cats get the same amount of food. But my skinny one sometimes leaves some food behind. I have them using their own feeders so they cant eat from each others food.

My cats arent very active because they are in a bedroom. I am trying to play with them more but my chubby cat just gets on her back to play with the wand. lol

Since i have them in my bedroom i do not want to risk her feeling hungry.I am not a nice person when i am sleep deprived and my cat will for sure wake me if i "starve" her.

They currently eat home made food:
Know Better For Cats - Chicken Recipe - For Making Healthy Homemade Cat Food

I use half the meat is chicken thighs with the skin, and the other half the skinless chicken thighs. And i feed them 1/4 cup of food twice a day. My chubby cat gets 1/4 cup of water added to her food to fill her up more. :flail:

Any advice would be appreciated.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why Do you have Them couped up in a bedroom ? I bet they are bored out of their minds. You could add a water fountain so they could have have fresher tasting water whenever they Wanted some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why Do you have Them couped up in a bedroom ? I bet they are bored out of their minds. You could add a water fountain so they could have have fresher tasting water whenever they Wanted some.
No choice. I will keep it brief: I cant afford to live on my own, and had to move in with a family member that hates cats. This is the only way i can keep from rehoming them.

Anyone have any advice on how to help my cat lose weight within the situation i am in?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given your circumstances, I guess the best things to ask first are:1.) how old is chubby cat, and 2.) how 'overweight' is chubby cat? And what are you basing that on? The other aspect is: has 'Ms. Chubby' been through a compete exam, which includes full scale blood work? How is she otherwise - peeing, pooping, drinking?

More information would very helpful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given your circumstances, I guess the best things to ask first are:1.) how old is chubby cat, and 2.) how 'overweight' is chubby cat? And what are you basing that on? The other aspect is: has 'Ms. Chubby' been through a compete exam, which includes full scale blood work? How is she otherwise - peeing, pooping, drinking?

More information would very helpful!
Kitty is 10 years old, and was 15 lbs the last time she was weighed. The vet is the one that recommended for her to lose wieght. Its just been a challenge given our current situation. She gets bloodwork done once a year. She pees, poops and drinks normally.

I was able to get her to lose a lb very slowly once but then we moved homes and she has less space to move around, so she gained it slowly back. She doesnt handle being hungry well.

Her and my other cat, Elsa, get the same amount of cooked food. It is served in their microchip bowls so i know they arent taking food from each other. Elsa is 9 lbs. Even though they get the same amount of food, Elsa sometimes leaves food. So she naturally eats less.

Kitty does have a bigger frame, she seems longer than Elsa.

I just want to know if theres anything i can add so that i can lessen her food but still let her feel full.

Kitty:
20220121_090757.jpg

Elsa:
20210918_104310.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For some cats, 15 pounds might be just a tad bit overweight. Below you will find a chart you can use to gauge her based on size and shape - as that counts as much as a number on a scale. Btw, the chart below sadly excludes the primordial pouch that most cats get regardless of their weight (the pouch of fat that hangs down right in front of their back legs) - so, don't let that throw you in assessing Kitty.

Since you feed your cats homemade food, I am not sure how to tell you to reduce her calories and still have her feel satisfied. With canned cat food, the key would be to find a food with less calories - that way you could feed the same amount, but she would be taking in less calories overall.
Body-Condition-Feline-Chart.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some shaved deli turkey and give it as a treat, it might fill her up with not too many calories. More exercise is most likely needed too, maybe a cat tree or something to climb. You might also cut back on some things to live on your own, phone plans are a great place to start. Wages are at the highest they have ever been, so you might look for something that pays better. Most people hurt a bit when they first move out, I would starve before I would get rid of my pets.