Helping my cat catch food

Status
Not open for further replies.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MMM I am not sure I understand. How will the Pet Water Fountain help me with the issue of watered kibbles becoming damaged and unhealthy?
The cat takes a bite of dry food then laps the fresh tasting water from the fountain .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got it, but the problem I am having is that my cat can't take a bite of dry food (unless I moist it with water beforehand) without her lower jaw.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got it, but the problem I am having is that my cat can't take a bite of dry food (unless I moist it with water beforehand) without her lower jaw.
Sounds like You may have to stick to wet food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would continue to wet the kibble since you have had good luck with it and Holly is probably enjoying it. However, given that Holly is still in recovery from a major procedure, I might pick it up once she appeared to be done eating. Your idea of leaving it for an hour max is probably fine, too. Offer a little wet kibble at a time, maybe less than what would be a meal, and feed her according to what she eats. Then offer more food as you usually would. You might waste a little bit of kibble, but you won't risk Holly getting an upset stomach from older food. Glad that she is doing so well! You are doing a great job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear friends, this is the message I was hoping I would have never had to write. Holly today crossed the rainbow bridge and I so deeply hope that now she is in heaven playing with my dog Botolo. My world is shattered right now and I’m not sure whether I will be back here, but I wanted to pull some energy to share some info that might be helpful to other cat owners in the future from the lessons learned through holly (hopefully this post will be indexed by Google so others can find it in the future).

radical mandibulectomy is not so scary and should definitely be considered as an option. Many vets say that cats don’t go back to eating on their own but that’s not true. It took a while and a lot of experimenting, but holly was back to eating on her own. She loved Instinct Ultimate Protein Chicken and Soulstice Mousse. I also found a device used for babies to turn any food in baby food and used it to make pate out of fancy feast that she loved and that had chunks of food.

a feeding tube is not scary and cats don’t even suffer from it. Once we found out routine, Holly used to come to me when it was feeding time and was purring all the time. I would give everything to go back now to those times.

one more thing. Once mandibulectomy is done, assume that anything new weird happening to your cat is this bastard of squamous cell carcinoma coming back. Everything. A few weeks ago I found her with an eye slightly closed. We assumed a corneal ulcer but it was all the tumor coming back, pressing on the nerves, making her blink less and causing ulcer. Start from the assumption that it’s cancer, get your cat checked right away based on this assumption and once you exclude it’s not cancer, then treat whatever needs to be treated.

finally, doctors. It’s difficult to find great doctors. The angels who helped me during these months.

Dr. Carey (access in Culver City) did the surgery.
Dr. Bianco (Mash) checked Holly periodically after the surgery.
Dr. Quarterman (Truecare for pets) did stereotactic radiation and she has been wonderful during the entire time.
modern animal in studio city, they have been so sweet during this time.

I wish you will never have to deal with this cancer but if you do, know that you can fight it and remember to put your cat’s wellness before your feelings. We fought an hard battle until the very end because Holly had always been very energetic and active. In the past few days she developed neurological issues, circling all the time. Today’s MRI confirmed that the tumor extended to the brain and we decided to let her go to a better place.

people usually say “my cat lost the battle with cancer”. Holly did not lose the battle, she kicked thè cancer’s ass for the entire time and she decided today that she could not waste more time with this loser of a cancer.

give a big hug to your pets today.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Holly. It was extremely kind of you to return here, although it is painful, to post the most recent information and experience with SCC, along with the references of the doctors who helped both of you.

I hope that the fact that you gave Holly every chance possible will be some small consolation. As hard as it was, in the end you made the kindest decision possible for her. You both fought the good fight, Holly had quality of life along the way, and you spent all the time possible together.

If you would like to post stories, memories, or just talk, you are more than welcome to post a memorial tribute to Holly in our Crossing the Bridge forum. In a few days, this thread will be closed out of respect for Holly. However, it will remain here on TCS permanently and I am sure will be read many times by other members and the help you gave to her will continue on to help others.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.